National 12 - find out more...

Barber Haulers

Started by Flew, 05 Jun 2009, 05:29

« previous - next »

angus

Perhaps its worth pointing out that Gary sails a merlin
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

simon moss

The spinnaker idea was tried (and abandoned) on N3313 there is a brief description on the boat data base check out icecreaman entry under N3313
Simon
N3313

Tasar-teaser (Guest)

Quote from: 165Adding an asymetric would automatically change the performance envelope of the boats leading to different hull shape requirements to get optimum performance. This means those that could afford it would go out and buy something new that would likely significantly outperform all existing boats (even with modified rig), whilst those that cannot afford this would lose the ability to buy a competetive boat for under £5k because this option would no longer exist.

If you want something radical, how about looking at Dead Cat Bounce? There are loads of ideas there, some of which can be retrofitted to existing boats for less than the cost of adding a third sail, and all of which are legal under the existing rules. Whether or not they will work in isolation is a different question, but DCB was fast downwind in all conditions at Burton Week(end).

Kevin

Methinks you'd really have to change the hull shape to make any significant difference. Many people think just adding an asymmetric spinnachmaker to any old waterpusher would vastly increase its performance. They have been misguided/milsled by trhe marketing spin-doctors of this (sailing) world. In actual fact, all that would result is a significant loss in VMG in all winds from light up to  up to getting up well over hull speed "honking", since in order to get the asymm tight leached and operative with the virtual wind you'd have to luff so far up that you'd be effectively sailing 180° tacks. That, against a strong tide and you know where I'm going. The hump in the drag curve effectively reduces the power available to get going using sufficient virtual wind on a reach.That's why the RS200/400 guys and girls very often mutter after a race in marginal winds that they haven't been "tactical enough".
Just leave the 12 as it is and enjoy it, if you're light enough to that is. I'm now very happy with my Tasar and my 59er, but then I weigh just that little bit more to make the change in class(es) worthwhile.
Cheers!
Jim.

n12 Bottom Banner