National 12 - find out more...

Choosing a boat

Started by Andy Thornton, 21 Jun 2009, 09:18

« previous - next »

Andy Thornton

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting back into sailing after a break of about 15 years (houses, kids, jobs etc). I've joined the local sailing club which is on the river. Water is pretty narrow but being in East Anglia can get some good gusts blowing. The club mainly sails Enterprise and there are no 12's there. I used to sail a Cheshire Cat and have a nostalgic desire for a 12 again. I'm looking for advice on a suitable design for this type of inland sailing, also I'm likeley to have my 10 year old son as primary crew, he's rapidly heading for 5 stone in weight, I'm rapidly heading for considerably more than that due to living in close proximity to the Adnams brewery but overall I guess we'd be a pretty lightweight crew with limited experience and expertise. Am I being daft thinking of a 12 or are there designs that could suit?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Andy

FuzzyDuck

Andy,
You sound exactly where I was 4 years ago.  Buy a Crusader, they are excellant river boats and you will not be disappointed.
Simon
ex 3230 & 3413
now 3470
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Tim Gatti

Hi Andy - with your budget you will have plenty of choice as there are plenty of 12's to choose from. Simon's suggestion of a Crusader design is a good one - it's a good all rounder.  If you don't want to worry too much about maintenance, then the Design 8 could be an option.  Equally, a Cheshire Cat, China Doll, a Pipedream or a Tigress might also fit the bill. For river sailing some of the older vintage clinker designs still give more modern boats a run for their money.  If you haven't already found it, have a look through the N12 designs section on the website for the broad view. The 12 is a great choice for a family crew combination and there are some beautiful and very affordable boats out there.  Put up another post if you need more info on any of the designs or particular boats you might be interested in - and we'll do what we can to point you in the right direction.  Good luck. Tim

Andy Thornton

Thanks for the very quick responses guys. I've got the chance to look at a Crusader which is not too far away from me. I've also been approached about a Bounder - looks like a beautiful boat but not a design I'm at all familiar with. Any thoughts as to how it would fit for my narrow river? I've spoken to a few people at the sailing club and the need to be able to tack quickly and easily is a major consideration so any other thoughts / comments gratefully received.

Thanks again

Andy

Tim Gatti

Hi Andy - I presume it's Betty Bounder N3352 you're looking at - the only one of that design according to N12 data.  A very nice looking boat - my main reservation would be your options on re-sale as most people like the security of an established and successful design rather than a gamble with a one off with no track record.  Not a lot of rocker, by the looks of the photos on the database, which means she might stick a bit in the light stuff and not tack as quickly as you might like on a narrow river but I bet she's fun on a long, breezy reach on open water. Those built in buoyancy tanks are beautifully built but might also restrict movement around the boat a bit?  If you're keen to show those Enterprises a clean pair of heels this may not be the one for you. I'm sure others with more technical hull design savvy than I possess will put me right if I'm off the mark. Tim

Crusader 3244

Hi Andy, last August I did exactly what you are doing and returned to sailing after 20yrs. I used to sail grads, ents, lasers etc. When I planned the return 12s were not on my list. I ended upon with a 12 though and have grinned from ear to ear ever since. My boy was 11yo and we took to the crusader really well. I carry a bit more ballast than I ought but I've shed 1.5st since. Small foresail on a 12 can be helpful to junior crew, and we can trim out fairly well in most conditions. One observation, though, we sometimes find the dead run to be a bit wobbly and I don't think our difference in weight helps. We're closing the disparity from both ways.
The Crusader is an excellent teacher and ours has reminded us to pay more attention while in school on a few occassions. We took note and I've sharpened rusty skills faster than I might have in an Ent. Lotsafun.
Chris, 3244

Andy Thornton

Once again a major vote of thanks for all your comments and advice. Tim, your views on the Bounder are welcome, hadn't thought of the resale question. The chap who is selling says she tacks very quickly, and on pure looks I'm pretty interested although I do need to be able to sail the boat, with my limited experience, and I don't want to get shown up by the Enterprise mob!!
Chris, sounds like we're in very similar spaces. I can't see my son balancing my weight for a few years yet as I seem to be growing faster than him for some reason!!
Thanks again.

Andy

chalky

Andy,
Why don't you come and try sailing a 12 at Aldeburgh at the weekend? We have a small but growing number of Admirals cup boats and can find a boat for for you to sail and or race (D8 or my Crusader). The majority of us sail with our young children who really enjoy themselves. Club racing every Saturday afternoon and we are planning to be on the water Sunday morning after junior sailing.
It's not far to Aldeburgh and I'm sure you will have fun...You might decide to join us on a regular basis instead of racing agianst enterprises.....
John

Andy Thornton

John,
Thanks for the invite - can't do this weekend as we've got visitors all weekend. I've agreed to buy a Crusader today and will hopefully get her by the end of the week so I may well bring her down soon in an attempt to pick up a few tips from you all. Appreciate your offer very much.

Regards
Andy

chalky

Andy
Which Crusader have you found? Hope you have as much fun as we have had. The invite stands for any weekend. The more boats the better.

John

Andy Thornton

She's 3376 - Granny Weatherwax. I saw her today and thought she looked fantastic. Great thing for me is she's only just the other side of Great Yarmouth so really easy for me to go and collect hopefully later this week.

Appreciate the invitation, I've got your e-mail and contact details and will get in touch once we've got her sorted out.

Cheers
Andy

Tim Gatti

Congratulations Andy - welcome back to the 12 Fleet .  Look forward to hearing about - and seeing some pics of you and your son enjoying your new boat. Enjoy.

Antony (Guest)

Andy,
Congratulations on the new boat.
In all seriousness if you want to make sure that you have everything right then come down to Aldeburgh at the weekend (i know it is a bit of a drive).  I will be putting my Design 8 back together and on the water, probably on Sunday morning, and both John and I will be around all weekend.
There are also a few 12s at Oulton Broad, i can find some contact details if you want to get in touch with them.
Antony
N3514, N3292 and now N3348 (don't ask)

chalky

Andy,
You should be warned about conversing with Antony and Tim. Antony is the owner of plastic boats old new and Tim just can't resist a wooden boat...
Looking forward to meeting you at Aldeburgh some time.
John

John Hugo

For the record, "Bounder" was built by Neville Green, and sailed at Tynemouth.   Neville said the hull shape was closely related to Jo Richard's Bouncer design.   From my recollection, she seemed to carry weight pretty well and was quicker in light weather than one might have expected.   I hope she finds a good home.
John Hugo,  N3475

n12 Bottom Banner