National 12 - find out more...

Seahorse Sailor of the Month

Started by John Meadowcroft, 03 Jul 2009, 10:35

« previous - next »

MikeDay

... and me too.  Graham - how was the short tacking in DCB?  Noticeably different from your Numinous?

Mike D
N3496

Ian Stables

Quote from: 120Us too. We had a great day trial sailing Dead Cat Bounce on Sunday on the IOW in sunshine and plenty of breeze against Jo in Bouncer. The boat was very well behaved and planed upwind through the Solent chop8). The winged rudder and trim tab centreboard kept the crew busy (Zoe's growing two extra arms!). We discussed bringing DCB over to the 'north island' so other people could have a go, please get in touch if you're interested.

Might be too short notice, but we have a "Try a 12" day at Spinnaker on 12th July. I am sure DCB would create a lot of interest!

We can help with the logistics of getting the boat transported ...
Ian<br />N3520 (Ex N3404)

Martin

Louisa

Having watched Dead Cat Bounce being built and enjoyed seeing her maiden sail, Jo definitely gets my vote.  Louisa

John Hugo

See interesting article on Jo and DCB in this months Y & Y.   The inovative trim tabs and rudder foils have attracted much comment, but Andy Rice points notes that "everything is further back" in the hull and rig.   Jo apparently cut extra unmeasured area into the jib roach, but I gathered from Jo that the measured jib area was 1.8 sq m or less.   Can anyone confirm this?        

.. (Guest)

You’d need to look at his boom or certificate.  That’s why we mark them up like we do, you can’t hide this stuff.

John Hugo

Thanks Nemo.   Brilliant sun here in Dumfrieshire, but can't quite see the IOW.   Perhaps Graham and Zoe and others, able to sail DCB will have interesting comments.

sam293

Quote from: .. (Guest) you can’t hide this stuff.[/quote

much like you cant hide your identity

yes also voted for jo

grazz

Given the breeze and the fact that we were finding our feet, we didn't do short tacking, but she did turn reasonably quickly. One reason for getting her over to the mainland is to try her on inland flat water. The foil needed to be let off to tack and gybe otherwise it stalled (hence crew needing extra arms).
We compared speed with Bouncer with foil in neutral and it definitely makes a big difference when you engage the foil. Equally, when we didn't use the trim tab upwind we found the boat didn't climb to windward as significantly. As reported by Sophie, it is a trifle damp to sail, but no worse than, say, a Freak Out which has similarly low freeboard. 
The jib has a fat head which was very sensitive to the amount of sheeting. If it was cracked off a fraction you needed the jib stick on to prevent the head from twisting off. Not sure of the exact measured area.

n12 Bottom Banner