Could anyone tell me about a paradise pudding............a good looking design
Is it good for heavy crews??
Is it a reasonable stable boat??

Iain

I have a Crusader 3208
I have only been sailing for 2 months
I starting to sail without swimming......but only in light winds

Iain

Does anyone know how i would get a hold of plans??

simon moss

Ian, I moved from a crusader to an AC Chapter, it does carry the weight alot better and it is I think more stable in the strong stuff, but it tacks alot slower, I usually sail on a river so this causes problems, so think about the sort of water you normaly sail on before changing.
you might save yourself alot of time and maybe money as there is a 'Man o War' design for sale on this website at moment and I'm sure Dare mentioned on another thread he was planning to sell his.
Simon
N3313

FuzzyDuck

Hi Iain,
Having this year changed from a Crusader to a DB Man-o-war design I can offer the following advice.
The hull shape is definately superior to the Crusader for carrying heavy weight and is just generaly quicker on all points of sailing.  Matt and I carry in excess of 25stone in our 12 (both designs). With the Crusader we were totally outclassed downwind. With the Man-o-War we are not far off the pace when I point it in the right direction.
The only area it suffers against the Crusader is quick tacking, which it is not good at because of the non existant rocker under the mast and the very flat garboard (plank either side of the keel). However we only find this comes into play when short tacking against the tide on a light day on the River.
The biggest change you will find is the Double Bottom. After 3 year in a Crusader I had only capsized twice (on the same day at the same mark) In the DB I have been over many more times than that already. The main problem is getting used to the high centre of gravity. At times I wonder if I could ever gybe!
They also kills your Knees in light winds!
Don't be fooled that the hull shape of the Chapter and the Man-o-War are the same. Had a long chat with Dare Barry, the builder, at the Nationals and they may have been once but the later ones are very different. I have some pictures of 3450 a Chapter and 3470 a Man-o-war on their sides at Burton Week. I will post here later when I get them off Matt's phone.  Never under stood why the Man-o-War hasn't got its own design listing?
Before you take the plunge and build anything speak to Dare. I know he had 3511 as bare hull available and has given the plans to someone in Australia I think he said. I am sure you could get them off him.
Hope this helps.
Simon

aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

James A

One thing to take note is that the recipe for paradise pudding isn't to my taste. It's a bit suetty and stodgy when i made it.
James
Paradise Pudding N3498

n12 Bottom Banner