National 12 - find out more...

New member of vintage fleet

Started by FuzzyDuck, 20 Aug 2009, 08:50

« previous - next »

FuzzyDuck

Martin, may I congratulate you on your recent purchase and may the vintage fleet welcome you with open arms.
Simon
PS: Hope she floats!
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

martin 1262

Umm many thanks....It will be many many months before the said yot will be released to sail with the Vintage Fraternity, I suspect ....
Could ask the current owner to fill up the cockpit with water and see what happens before I bring it home, it might just pop open and disintegrate, or it might just stay together and not leak!!!
Martin 2306/3458

FuzzyDuck

well done Martin, starting the fleet nicely. Some way to catch Tim though....
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Chadders

Welcome to the vintage fleet, we look forward to seeing her on the water in due course.  Excellent choice a Starfish, looks like the next purchase will be a bucket of Nitromorse!  Howard C.

martin 1262

Thanks Howard. Still waiting to find out when I can collect her, hoping for Sunday!
As you say vast quantities of Nitromores and sandpaper, and a good few hours in the garage no doubt. :-/
Looking foward already to launching her, perhaps Spring next year.  :)
Martin

marek

Hi
I've just finished stripping and painting N3070 - it's been a long slog, but here are some tips (3rd N12 I've done)
  • I found a heatgun  + stripping knife much better than nitromors for getting down to bare wood
  • Nitromors is great for the first stripping of the hull and I would recommend using it on the decks, but the heatgun made short work of the remainder - no doubt ther will be quite a few coats of paint to strip - be careful not to scorch the wood - start on the bottom of the hull first to get used to your heatgun
  • Then use 80grit sandpaper on an orbital sander, followed by 120grit followed by 180grit prior to the first coat
  • Sand using 200grit between varnish coats (6 coats = 1 coat a day x 6 days)
  • Wilkinson's do a paint stripper which is defacto Nitromors and costs half the price
Hope this helps
Marek

martin 1262

Marek
Thanks for the tips, will use them. Had initial inspection and some bits and pieces needing attention.  The paint on the hull (inside) has let water in, and wood underneath looks black. Will leave to dry out and see if that sorts things, or indicate some rot. Also Planks on transom are starting to come adrift, so need to look at that too,
I have added some pics on the boat webpage, comments welcome from more seaoned boat restorers!
Thanks

Martin 2306/3458

chalky

Martin,

i have always used a gas blow torch on all my boats combined with "harris" scrapers and sharp chisels a must. Very cheap (compared with paint stripper) and quick, I cleaned 2 planks on bobtail in about 30 minutes. Be careful not to set fire to the whole project. Looking forward to some photos so we can see the extent of any problems.

good luck john

n12 Bottom Banner