National 12 - find out more...

Anyone going to Bala??

Started by Chris Troth, 21 Aug 2009, 05:37

« previous - next »

Chris Troth

Hey All. I'm taking More A Tart Than A Pudding to Bala's bank holiday regatta weekend and was wondering if any other 12s were going? Would be nice if I wasn't the only one!
Chris

Phil Brown

Hi Chris

What's the score here? No info on the club website, anyone would think they were trying to keep it to themselves. NOR, camping etc ???
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Chris Troth

The NOR is available at http://www.balasc.org.uk/NOR/august09.html and there is a link to entry forms at the bottom. I agree it's not a great website to use. As far as camping goes, I think its a case of finding a local site - there are two very near that I know of. I shall do some more research and post it here asap.
Chris

jeremyf

We will be going with Grimalkin, staying at Pughs - the wrong end of the lake though!
Only slight snag is at the moment after a bad day with the Laser II at Rudyard on saturday my crew cant walk !

Martin

If you enjoy sailing at Bala, think about doing the Long Distance Race next year which normally takes place on the first Saturday in July 09.  The race lasts around about 3 hours. A number of competitors from our Club (Mid Warwickshire YC) go which always includes a couple of Twelves.  Its an opportunity to race on the whole of the lake. (Killer long beats when it is windy but the sleigh ride back is fun!)

There is also a Long Distance pursuit race on the Sunday.

For information we use Glanllyn Camp site which is at the opposite end of the lake to the Club but the facilities are excellent. see http://www.glanllyn.com/  It has its own foreshore so you can sail from there to the Club if your sort out the logistics of getting trolleys to the other end!

jeremyf

Are you there this weekend Martin?
That is where we are staying, I have known it as Pugh's for years( as they are the owners) but it is correctly called glanllyn.
Would be useful to meet up with any 12 owners so someone ccan tell me if I have put Grimalkin back together right !

Martin

No I will be in North Norfolk (yes I know I missed Norfolk Week as well!) hopefully sailing Sprint 15 at Wells!!!

Chris Troth

Hi Jeremy. I'll definitely be there and will gladly check it for you :) She is the same as my old boat (i think!)
Chris

jeremyf

Thanks, thats great.
Where will you be staying ??
We expect to be at Glanllyn mid to late afternoon friday, going home very late monday.
You will recognise us either by our shabby blue tent with a (usually broken down) green X Type estate , Grimalkin is resplendent in her new grey livery and my crew will be recognisable by her crutches !!
;-)

Chris Troth

I'm staying at Bwch yn Uchaf, with the contingent from Shustoke SC, although I will be racing under Olton Mere's banner. Will arrive friday afternoon all being well. My 12 is hard to miss - it's the bright pink one. If you want we could meet on the friday afternoon/evening and unpack Grimalkin together.
Chris

jeremyf

That would be excellent! Many Thanks.
I will be taking the tuning guide/ tape measure/ box of spare bits beer etc etc  etc
My mobile is 07831745712 and as I said I hope to be there at a sensible time ( trying to plan a sales call in N Wales for an earlier start. :-)

jeremyf

What a grim and horrid weekend !
Got to Bala at about 8 just as it was going dark, put the tent up just as it started to rain - right over a pile of Dog Mess !
Only redeeming feature of the weekend was finding an 18" long grass snake in the boat ! I hope he likes the move from Evesham to Bala, I hope he wont find it too cold and wet.
Never got to meet Chris, we did sail on the saturday but my crew / wife was not in good shape or indeed good humour due to her recurring knee problem so thought it better to keep a low profile. Perhaps I could sneak over to Oulton Mere sometime?
I did get to stick her name back on though!

Chris Troth

We sailed only for 10 mins on saturday and 1 race on sunday due to the high winds and my crew's chest infection! I looked out for you Jeremy but I didn't spot you I'm afraid. You are most welcome to come to Olton any time. Our open meeting is a week on saturday.
Chris

jeremyf

We got about 1/2 way down the lake on saturday , it was pretty gusty and Lesley couldnt take the pain of in/out/in out, so we had to head for home.Hopefully things will get better but not happy as she wasnt too bad till she had £5k worth of surgery !
We cycled over to the sailing club on saturday pm but didnt see your boat - so went to the pub and stayed there most of the day!
If all goes well we will pop over on the 13th then
J

Chris Troth

Next saturday is the 12th - don't want you turning up at olton mere on the 13th, all the 12s will be at trent valley! Hopefully see you at the mere soon
Chris

n12 Bottom Banner