National 12 - find out more...

Are there any measurers attending grapham?

Started by tom white, 21 Sep 2009, 06:15

« previous - next »

tom white

Hi :)

im just wondering if anyone who could measure my boat is going to grapham in 2 weeks?

my sails have already been measured by brian herring on the 23rd of august at readsmere. :)

tom white N2765

andymck

Hi Tom

You may get a quicker response if you can say what needs doing. I doubt you would need to get the boat completely remeasured unless you have made significant changes to the hull. It will have had a certificate at some point, Janet Bloor or Michael Brookman will be able to give you advice on that. I suspect all you really need is a weight, unless you have been very busy. Having spoken to some more senior members of the class, regarding sams post on the boat database, which was not the correct forum, it is unlikely that you will have a problem.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

tom white

Thank you :)

weight seems to be the thing that people seem to keep questioning. whilst we have owned the boat we havent made any significant changes. my farther and i have encased the hull in fibre glass to aid strength. i believe the mast to be the original aluminium one.
if there anything else you think that may be contentious with a boat this age please could you advise as part of the measurement review. :)

many thanks

Tom White N2765

John Meadowcroft

Tom
I am a maintenance measurer so can do check weighing and rigs and sails.  You are right that weight is probably the issue, and possibly centreboard projection as I think that you have removed the keel.  You can check the latter easily yourself - the bottom of the centreboard must be within 1070mm of the hull when it is at its lowest point.
I will try and get hold of the scales that we use at Burton Week and bring them along.  I assume that we will be able to find something at Grafham to rig the scales from.  If it is too windy it might not be very easy to find enough shelter to do the weighing and we may not be able to do it.
Finally you need a certificate in your own name if you dont already have one.  As said above give Kevan Bloor a call and he will sort you out for a small fee.

bit of "o" numpty (Guest)

maybe you should spent more time looking at the course and less time chatting eh andy

OMSC

I am sure Tom is not too worried about the C/board.  he must have took 2 inches off it on the bottom of the lake in the last month! ;D

tom white

thanks John :)

i will measure the centreboard at the weekend :)

the measurement cirtificate is curently in my dads name will i need to get it transferred before its measured or can i do it after?

thanks once again :)

tom white

John Meadowcroft

Tom
The most important thing is that one of you is a member of the NTOA - which you are.  Whose name the certificate is in is not really important. 
For those reading who are not members of the NTOA I think that is a bit like joining in a round of drinks until it is your turn to pay.....
Also measurement checks cost only a pint of beer to members of the NTOA but more than a year's subs to those who are not members

tom white

John

thank you very much :)
ill bring the certificate with me.
what time should i get to grapham in the morning?

John Meadowcroft

Well sailed at the weekend Tom.  Really pleased that your boat weighs so much as it shows how well you sail it.  Don't worry about it - it should wind up the competition more than it affects you!
Cheers
John

sam293

great to hear!
thanks to all those involved in measuring toms boat! much appreciated! and really shows support for the youth

n12 Bottom Banner