National 12 - find out more...

N3028 Smackwater Jack

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 22 May 2008, 08:54

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3028 Smackwater Jack. Design: Pipedream, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1976
Original boat name: Pipe Strangler.

Terry Bridgewater (Guest)

Sadly 3028 came to the end of her days in Autumn 2009 at Earlswood Lakes Sailing Club. She was an orphan, abandoned and left to rot.

landslide

3028 was  built for Mad Mick "Eastough" of Burton Sailing Club, He was a plumber hence the name. Recollections of there please from some of you older ones, Turner, Peebles, Eberlin etc

malcolmcjames

Mick's boat N3028 and my boat N3032 were both built at Waller & Richards' yard in Market Harborough around the same time; June-July 1978 I think. Mick named the boat 'Pipe Strangler' but I don't recall it ever being painted on the transom or rear quarter; the boats original colour was a mid-red. Both boats went to Burton Week at Llandudno that August and were then sailed in the Club Points races at Branston gravel pit for the rest of the season. N3028 was quick in light airs and I remember a team racing event where she was sailed by Jon Redding who commented favourably on her all-round performance. Early-1979 Burton SC left Branston and moved to Foremark Res. Mick sailed the club points but didn't do the Tynemouth Burton Week that year. He was planning to do Whistable in 1980 but didn't appear for some reason. We later found out that he joined the Army and I didn't see him again until 2011! I think that his Dad sold the boat after he'd joined up but I never saw N3028 again.:'(

landslide

Mad Mick, ledgend. Plumber! Played in his punk band at Burton Sailing Club with daft Pete who now has a Merlin at Blithfield. My guitar had no strings! Reunion 12 sailors from that era, Tvsc?

malcolmcjames

Legend indeed! Mick's band played a few gigs at Branston clubhouse - must have been later 1976 or 1977? Mick Eastough on lead guitar, Pete Wainwright on bass and Paul Rhodes on drums. I remember the 'rhythm guitar' now you mention it - an old Gibson SG copy, maple, varnished .... no strings on the night. The bass guitar was my short-scale model which Mick and I purchased for £25 from Ken Yates secondhand shop on Waterloo Street, Burton in 1975. It looked terrible although the sound was pretty good. I still have it although you wouldn't recognise it now that it has been professionally 'done up' - actually a 1968 Watkins model and very rare (I could post image in my gallery under guise of a new rudder design for a 12 or something). I think that Mick and the band still meet up for the occasional 'strum'; possibly in/ around Marchington. Sailing at TVSC for a reunion would be a good way to catch up and remember those halcyon days; except that I don't have a boat and my crew is very reluctant to elave dry land!:-/

landslide

Laird, of Breaston!
Lets get something sorted at TVSC. Your fleet, existing and old 12 owners, Eberlin slide show, food and beer! Who is up for it!
Regards,
Landside, Rumpuss, Maxwells Demon and Gurgll. Crew in Slick chick!

edwillett

N3028 was based at Loch Venacher in the Trossachs when I moved to Scotland in the late 80's. She was sailed by a young (back then!) student called Mike Brown and his girfriend...pretty succesfully having won the Lairwell Trophy for the Scottish Travellers series in 1985 and 1986.....as I recall Mike moved overseas in the early 90's and N3028 went off my radar after that.

malcolmcjames

I will give Mick Eastough a call and see if he has any photos of N3028 from his time sailing her at Branston and Foremark Resv. Also, if he can make a reunion at TVSC (I think he is based near London these days). Hopefully we will both be able to sail in a 12 again!:)

n12 Bottom Banner