National 12 - find out more...

Burton Week 2010 - confirmation of arrangements

Started by Tim Gatti, 05 Nov 2009, 09:56

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

BURTON WEEK 2010
I am delighted to announce that Burton Week 2010 will be held at the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA) under the burgee of the Yacht Clubs of Weymouth.

Racing will take place over the four days from 29th May to 1st June 2010.  It is intended that the Sir William Burton Cup race will be scheduled for the Bank Holiday on Monday 31st May with the Burton Dinner and prizegiving at the Academy that evening.

WPNSA is the purpose built site for the 2012 Olympics and we are highly priveliged to be able to host Burton Week from here.  It is the first 2012 Olympics venue to be completely finished.

As you will know, Burton Week 2009 at Thorpe Bay YC attracted 77 entrants with Jo Richards and Sophie Mackley winning in Dead Cat Bounce.  WPNSA clearly has the resources to cope with another bumper entry in 2010 and I look forward to welcoming as many 12 sailors as possible to this superb venue - so why not enjoy this great Olympic venue before the Olympians arrive for their competition.

The facilities at WPNSA are unrivalled. In addition to the sailing in Weymouth Bay and the modern, up-to-date, onsite facilities there is also ample free car and dinghy parking; caravans and camper vans are also allowed for a small nightly fee. There is strictly no camping on site but excellent camping facilities are available in the area. (see link below)

CHEAP ACCOMMODATION AVAILABLE!! - The WPNSA have offered us the option of taking sole occupancy of nearby Boscawen House, allowing us to provide cheap hostel style accommodation for up to 44 people during the Championships for about £15 per bed per night. In order to ensure we cover our costs I need to know by late November how many of you would be keen to take advantage of this offer. I include below a list of the rooms and beds available. Discuss with your friends and family and e-mail me asap with your requirements (chairman@national12.org) . First come first served!

Room 1: 6. Room 2: N/A, Room 3: 4. Room 4: 6. Room 5: 8. Room 6: 6. Room 7: 6. Room 8: 5. Annexe is not available
Please do NOT book via WPNSA website as this will only confuse things

Venue Website = http://www.wpnsa.org.uk/
Address: WPNSA, Osprey Quay, Portland, Dorset, DT5 1SA

We are now finalising our 2010 Burton Week website and will publish full details shortly.
The Notice of Race is expected to be available before the end of the year.

Best wishes

Tim
pp NTOA Burton Committee

Campsite links...

http://www.sailingaccommodation.co.uk/campsites/view/pebble-bank-camping-caravanning/
http://www.pebblebank.co.uk/location.html

paul turner

Thanks for confirming Tim! Crew and time off already booked; hopefully we will have even more vintage yots there than at Thorpe Bay. I will take Dolly Daydream N2487 (or even possibly Shotgun N2359) and Angus has already booked Mr Jones N2399 from the Turner Collection. Starfish N2020 is also available for loan to a suitably competent helm (and crew!). Px :K)

Tim Gatti

Thanks Paul - I'm hoping we'll have more of every sort of yot there in 2010 but glad to hear of availability for your old girls! Will you be at Northampton? Tim

paul turner

Greetings Mr Towed - not certain that the delighful ladies wot crew for me will appreciate being referred to as "old girls" or as being "available"! P :K)

tonyelgar

I believe the ferry bridge inn at the weymouth end of the causeway is now doing cheap accomadation now, currently run by a dive firm and I couldnt say what type of accomadation but its just about stumblable from WPNSA!
http://www.fathomandblues.co.uk/
Also...
Is there going to be scope for boats avaliable to be borrowed for this coming year. Not owning a 12 now I still wouldnt mind joining in, esspecially on "home turf" so to speak.

tony
ex 2760/3255

Tim Gatti

Tony
We discussed boat loans for the Nationals at the NTOA Committe Meeting at the end of October as a way of getting as many 12's on the water at Weymouth.  It certainly worked well at Thorpe Bay this year.

Jeremy Carey will be building something into the new Burton website, due for release soon, so that those wanting to borrow a boat can add their details to a list.  Boat loaners can then contact individuals directly to sort transport and other arrangements.
In the meantime, if anybody with a spare 12 reads this post, perhaps they could contact Tony and sort something out with him. Thanks.

Tim

Chadders

Accomodation and crew booked for the event and Triarda (N2266)is looking forward to another outing on the sea, new main on order to go with my new jib, gotta beat that Tim Gatti somehow!!  Maybe I should ask for my spare mast back on the 27th May, that should do it! Just need a plan for beating Paul, Angus, Brian Herring and the others now.  Howard C

n12 Bottom Banner