National 12 - find out more...

Dangly Pole

Started by Michael, 14 Dec 2009, 12:28

« previous - next »

Michael

Can I have some advice on how to make and rig a Dangly Pole please?  I guess the first three questions are  length of pole, diameter of tube and wall thickness of tube. Then I will need to know how to rig it and what goes in the end of the tube at either end in the way of caps or special fittings.  I have looked at the tuning guide but it's not particularly clear.
Help will be much appreciated.
Michael

Tim Gatti

[face=Helv]Michael - there are a range of options available - I have emailed you an article I put together with some photos on what is by far the simplest approach.
I believe the optimum pole length is 1.6m - see other threads in this Discussion forum for details. There is no max or min length in the rules.
25mm dia tubing seems to be the standard. Other contributors may know of cheap sources of carbon tubing blanks but they are hard to come by .. hence my solution.
Some pics attached to give you the basic idea
Tim
[/face]

JimC (Guest)

On my Canoe I've used a section of carbon fishing rod - about 15 quid from Surbiton Tackle centre or whatever they are called - which works nicely. The thick end is sleeved externally with a old bit of Cherub topmast which makes it just thick enough to get a halyard block in and I carboned a D ring on the end, but otherwise very much the same. 

angus

I got a carbon landing net handle off ebay for about £15 including postage. I can't remember the length. Bernard Clark did a survey a few years ago in response to a similar question from me and I am sure he will send you the results once he sees your posting.
It is not actually necessary to thread the line down through the pole, you can tie the pole directly onto the jib aslong as you don't put too much tension on the shock cord.
Although they are quite simple I could never really work out how they worked until I saw them set up on a boat.
A piece of 25mm aluminium tubing will do and people have used bromm handles in the past but they are a bit short I believe.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

broz

I wen't in to my local fishing tackle shop on Sat.(just passing).They had 1.8m carbon landing nets, 1piece, just right for the job.Price £18
TV arial pole are another cheap alternative for alley. Or local Steal stockist. i use ACS Metals Lincoln 01522-501777
I have 2 poles, a P&B one and the first pole ever put on a twelve(the origonal),(collectors item).The later works best.
My crew complained about strech in the sheeting that the pole runs on, so I made one out of 2.5mm Diaform, she's pleased as punch now. 

sam293

i feel a "how big is your pole" poll coming on

Tim Gatti

Roly Mo (Bernard Clark) carried out a pretty comprehensive dangly pole survey some time ago
I'm sure he would be happy to recirculate the findings.  The optimum length was 1.6m I believe.
The Search function on this database is good for checking out previously posted topics.
Click on the 'Search' button at the top of the page - obvious really, type in the text to look for - even more obvious.
Remember to set the age parameter to 1 day or older (not so obvious).
Tim

Roly Mo

Here's the survey (if I can manage to attach the file) which we did a couple of years ago.
RM

Chadders

I had my pole suveyed by Jennie too, an excellent piece of work and very useful, in the end 1.6mtr seemed to be the optimum length.

Michael

Dear All, What a helpfull lot you are!  Now my mast may be delayed so I will be concentrating on fitting out the hull when I get it next week.  Come to think of it i had better post a few more things on the forum such as jib halliard adjustment!

angus

Chadders, the important thing, does it clear your slippers?
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner