National 12 - find out more...

New but novice N12 owner

Started by Louisa, 07 Dec 2009, 08:26

« previous - next »

Louisa

It's a great feeling to finally be the owner of a sailing dinghy - and I'm glad to say it's a National 12, N3220.  Just bought the boat yesterday with Dare's help, and am feeling on cloud nine - although well aware that once I get on the water, it will be a very steep learning curve, having only crewed 12s till now - and never helmed a boat with an aft mainsheet...!  By the way, how many female helms are there out there sailing N12s? 
Louisa
N3220

johnk

Dear Louisa,
Join the Club. I am a mere male (we met at BCYC last year). I can think of Caroline Martin At Burgfield, my sister in law, etc.
Best wishes
John  (N2607)

Michael

Hi Louisa.  I to am new, but will be facing forward in the turns!   http://deadcatbouncenational12.blogspot.com/ Where do you sail?

Fran G (Guest)

Dear JohnK,

I may be completely wrong but I think you are my uncle.  (I am not a member of the forum so can't see any member details) Who is your sister in law that is helming 12s?  Did you mean niece (unfortunately it is now rare that I helm a 12 although I did for many years) or do we have another relative that I can't work out?

Louisa - 12s are perfect for female helms, as the loads are low compared to other boats, but require that delicate touch, something I'm not sure I had but would have been useful.  I'm sure Dare will tell you all you need to know - but the key to the aft main is to remember to change hands before a tack, (and generally a gybe, but if its getting complicated in a gybe, make it up as you go along).  Good luck.

Fran
ex3431

Tim Gatti

Hi Louisa - great to hear you now have a 12 all of your own - and a Baggy too.  Exciting stuff in a blow.  That design has won the Admiral's Cup prize at the Burton in the last couple of years.  Hopefully we'll see you at WPNSA at the end of May as you are now also eligible to race for the Money Cup.  Good luck. Tim

Louisa

Thanks for all the encouraging words - I'm so looking forward to getting out on the water - but first I've got to learn how to put the boat together and rig her - so lesson one from Dare is going to be just that!
Hello John K, I remember meeting you at BCYC in Cowes last year.  I think I said to you then that I was determined to own a National 12!
Hi Michael.  I saw Jo building DCB and photographed the boat for Cowes Online when he first sailed her off Gurnard - it was great to see.  I race from the Royal Victoria Yacht Club on the Isle of Wight most of the time and that's where my N12 will live.  Just got to find a willing crew...
Thanks for the tips Fran.  A friend of mine is going to get me to practise some dummy tacks and gybes in our yacht club bar with a spare tiller and length of rope - not quite sure if that will help or not!
I would absolutely love to do a Burton Week, but don't know if I'll be able to make it next year - I probably need a few year's practise first!
Louisa
N3220 Isle of Wight
PS.  If anyone wants to come to the Isle of Wight for a day/weekend anytime, and have a sail - please do get in touch.  Not having a fleet of 12s on the Island means I can't learn from copying others - but I would always be very happy to give a sail/race to any willing 12 sailor who ends up on our shores here.

paul turner

And talking of lady drivers, we musn't forget Diane Thornton N2835 (she formerly of Earlswood now residing at Teignmouth) plus Tricia Wood is a pretty competent helm (so good I even lent her my beloved Dolly Daydream at Thorpe Bay this year for a day). My late sister Hilary also sailed a Mk 8 for a few years at TVSC before going over to the dark side (ie she started crewing in a Merlin!). And a quiet word in the ear for Ken Goddard in the other thread on this subject; not certain that your friend Mrs Britton was too impressed at being compared to Jean Gill! Happy Xmas y'all. Px :K)

paul turner

And there's Sue Jones at Nottingham who is pretty dxmn quick in her Crusader - and you always know where she and Mary Brookman are on the water - just listen for the laughter! Px :K)

John Hugo

Don't forget Sue Pelling who has won the Money Cup for lady helms at least four times, and was competing again in Burton Week 2009.
John Hugo, N3475

n12 Bottom Banner