National 12 - find out more...

Mr Jones N2399

Started by paul turner, 25 Mar 2010, 11:42

« previous - next »

paul turner

Mr Jones is now in my new workshop drying out (there are several split planks and joints, plus deck repairs etc required) but before starting the serious work does anyone have any pictures of the original paintwork, condition and layout, and/or contact details for Hugh Welbourn so that I can restore as close to original as possible? I will do my best, but don't expect concourse condition, N2399 has been well used and adapted over the years! P :K) PS Revarnishing of N2359 Shotgun starts next week - it really is very odd (and smelly) boat!

MikeDay

Paul

I can remember seeing Mr Jones at the London Boat Show at Earl's Court on the International Paints stand the winter after it won everything, resting vertically on its transom.  It was 'painted' with a black graphite that was fashionable then - the idea was that you sanded it down smooth and the water molecules were supposed to do something clever.  Good luck with the 'restore to original' approach!!

Mike D
N352?

Tim Gatti

Ah - the dreaded Grafspeed I think they called it - my first boat - an Ian Proctor designed 'Zenith' had it liberally applied below the waterline - and was a real bugger to get off - hard as nails!  I wouldn't recommend going that far with your restoration Paul, but good luck with Mr Jones. 
Sound like you may need to issue a Health Warning to anyone borrowing 'Shotgun' - or are you fitting air fresheners instead of drinks bottle holders? Tim

paul turner

Hi Gattiman! I think that I will repaint in dark grey rather than graphite; I assume that it wasnt successful as a good fast idea as I havent seen a boat with the stuff on for some years? My understanding is that Mr Jones was amateur built and that the two sides are slightly different; that how it looks and old age means that there are structural problems to be sorted! In a previous thread I was given a number of possible solutions to the serious "cat wee" odour problems with Shotgun - none have worked, so if anybody has any new ideas - now would be a very good time to mention them!!!!!! Please! Px :K)

martin 1262

Re the cat wee, I think it would be best if you try and stop the local feline feral population using your lovely boat as their toilet!!!
As the boat it called shotgun, perhaps thats the answer!!
:);)

Martin

paul turner

Thank you Martin for your helpful comments!!!!! The cats were in Mike Nokes' garden, not down on the farm! The shotgun will be reserved for helms of plastic yots who don't know their starboard close hauled from their starboard running, and can't keep their dangley poles to themselves! P:K) = Perfect Kiss, as in collison at Welland?

n12 Bottom Banner