National 12 - find out more...

Cover for a Baggy - need help with measurements

Started by intheboatshed, 22 Mar 2010, 12:18

« previous - next »

intheboatshed

Hi

I've just become the proud owner of a Baggy, my first 12.
She's in a fairly poor state and lacks a cover, which is a situation I want to rectify as quickly as possible. Unfortunately I cannot pick her up for a couple of weeks and she is based rather too far away just to pop over to see her.

Sorry for the waffle, but it explains the reason for this post.

Does anyone here have quick/easy access to a Baggy, and would be very kind and obtain the hull measurements I need to provide, as per the attached sheet?
Also, it's sometime since I've bought a cover for a dinghy - any views on over versus under boom covers on a 12?

Unfortunately, you won't see very much of us this coming season as I intend to hide myself away and learn how to sail her, without causing myself to much public embarrassment. However, next season I'm hoping to come and join the fun. 

Tim

darebarry

Hi. Try P&B for your cover, they will have made many covers for the Baggy design and might still have the measurments.
When you have got your boat up and sailing come and play with other 12's, you will have fun and receive much advice along the way.
Good luck. dare N3521 'the ginger pudding' 

Tim Gatti

Hi Tim
Might be able to get something to you by middle of next week but it might be better for you to take actual measurements off your boat due to the variation in build between boats of the same design.  Nothing worse than spending £100 plus on a new cover and then finding that it doesn't fit properly!
Cover options - if the boat is being stored out of doors with the mast up then an over-boom cover is more likely to shed the water and keep the boat dry.  However, the flat, mast-up covers can still allow you to fasten the cover a short way up from the mast at the fore-deck to ensure some drainage.  The advantage of these is that they are better as a trailing cover - less material to flap around in the 60mph breeze.  Also if you store your boat without the mast you can make a post about a metre long  that fits in the mast step and is long enough to fasten the cover round and still keep the water out. 
Given the width of the Baggy at the aft end if you get a flat cover you may still need to use the boom or a length  of wood to provide a support 'spine' down the boat to help shed the water or else it can gather in a huge puddle between the thwart and the transom even with the bow of the boat raised up.
Any idea where you plan on getting your cover from?
Tim

Tim Gatti

Just seen your cover measurement form - I've had five covers from them and they have all been excellent and well worth the outlay. Tim

angus

I would go for a flat cover, but then i store my boat at home with the mast down and do a lot of travelling. A boom up cover definately sheds the water better if you are keeping the boat with the mast up.
As for where to get it from I (on this occasion) have to agree with tim, I've only had one cover from them but they are definately the best in my opinion and will get my next cover there.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

intheboatshed

Thanks for the replies. Ideally I'd like to get the measurements from the actual boat, but Kevin (from whom I have just bought the boat) suggested I asked here, as he wasn't sure when he could get down to do it, and it's definitely too far for me. So thank you for any assistance in advance.
I have been 'lurking' on this forum for several months, and I found a number of threads regarding the source of good boat covers, hence the reason for considering Sail Register.
We'll try to come and play with the rest of you sooner rather than later. I'm intending to get my kids to crew, so it depends on how we get on together. They have just started sailing Optimists, and I thought that their learning curve (particularly in terms of racing) would greatly improve if they come out with me in a 2 handed boat - I found crewing for them in an Oppi made it nose dive worse than a 12 on a windy run! I've never sailed a 12 before, and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.  
Tim

Martin

Sorry to be the party pooper but unless SR have changed the material of their Poyester covers in the last few years I personally wouldn't touch them with a jib pole. 
I have had covers on a Sprint 15, Comet and a 505 in the past and to my mind they all suffered UV damage far too soon.  The ones I had seemed to have an inner and outer material which seperated as the outer surface degraded.  Shame really as the fit wan't bad at all on the comet and 505 although it was a bit tight on the bows of the Sprint 15.
I would go with the P&B canvas option which I have on my 12 and it has done very well given its age.  I would also recommend Waveloft if you want to go for the polyester/pvc option.  I replaced the SR cover on the Sprint 15 when it had rotted away approx 3 years ago with a Waveloft one and it is showing no sign of wear.  My father has just bought a cover for his Laser from them and it looks particularly robust and fits well.

Alverbanks - Stuart (Guest)

Just to let you know Alverbanks have stared making flat and trailing polycotton covers. They are made to measure out of top quality polycotton. Theyre not the cheapest but quality does occasionally cost ;). If youre interested in a quote email stuart@alverbanks.co.uk

GarryR

Rain and Sun have been good for me but everyone has their opinion.

Roly Mo

intheboatshed

I will be sailing at Maidenhead.
 Unfortunately there aren't any other 12's there at the moment, so I am taking a bit of a gamble. Initially I will have a crack at the handicap fleet. I'm hoping that we will attract a bit of attention and might even encourage a few more to have a go at 12's, especially some of the younger members.
I will try to make some forays over to Burghfield (unfortunately just to far away to make my regular base).
Tim

n12 Bottom Banner