National 12 - find out more...

how big a trailer is needed for a 12

Started by Overomtimistix, 29 Mar 2010, 12:32

« previous - next »

Overomtimistix

I've been looking for a 12 for a few months now and I've come across a few that don't come with trailer or trolley.
How can I decide whether the trailer that I have would be suitable?  I have two trailers - both old and of unknown origin. One I think might have been used for a Firefly. Currently both are used variously with a Mirror and a British Moth.
Does it make much difference which 12 design?
The trailer question is probably more important as I don't want to drive up to collect and find that the boat wont fit.
thanks
dan

GarryR

Given that a 12 and a Firefly are the same length the balance should be fine.  More important then would be the profile of the hull and of course these are different.  However I manage to fit Firefly and Merlins and Enterprise on the same trailer (not at the same time I hasten to add!!) by using a piece of plywood with two battens on one side which locate over the hull supports. You need two of these.  This was treated with G4 pond sealer (varnish will do) and  on the other side of the ply I have some grey foam material which was packing for a scientific instrument which I came by and this is contact adhesived onto the ply.  They slip over the bearer and provide . good cushioning.  I strap down with a ratchet strap - a good industrial on which won't chape or snap.  I also use a breack back to get the tension in the right place so the strap doesn't crush the boat inwards.  A rope or smaller strap holds the bow down.  For holding all the rigging to the mast I use cushioned tie wires - you can get them in Homebase but they are great.  Quick, soft against a wooden mast and really secure.  Like all boats being towed on a trailer the most important thing is to make sure that the weight is taken on the keel.  The side parts are for lateral support.  Hope this helps.

Martin

For the trip home a bit of judicious packing and careful driving should suffice and then longer term you can adapt the trailer to fit if you don't want to go to the expense of a new combi set up.

Mr B

The biggest problem is securing the boat at the front end of the trailer if there is a vee shape receiver, as the hull`s are very different in shape. The aft end is fine it will sit quite well, i use some packing foam which i attach to the trailer for the hull to sit on(not a combi trailer). My N12 & B.M. use the same trailer with no problems. BTW is 568 finished yet?

Overomtimistix

Thanks for your helpfull suggestions.
Mr B, no 568 is waiting for the weather to improve - I found a bit of wet inside the rear tank and want it to be thoroughly dried out before I slap a load of paint over the inside.
I see you weren't put off by my speeling mistook.

n12 Bottom Banner