National 12 - find out more...

So, who's got a new boat on order then?

Started by JohnMurrell, 30 Dec 2009, 06:22

« previous - next »

Gavin Willis

If Paul had pointed the camera the other way when he took the photo, you would have seen the bare shell of my new one as well, I now have carbon splinters in my hands and a big grin on my face as I build the rest at home.
Great colour scheme Mike, Sabbie will have a big say in the colour of mine. Great to see so many new 12's coming into fruition!
Gavin

Michael

I am finding the fit out to be a long-winded and tricky process.  Much of this is because it's first time round for me I'm sure.  I'm having to put reinforcement in to take fittings because I now know exactly where I want them to go.  Second time arround the biulder would put pads in where I want them and put fittings on under the thwart before the thwart goes in.  Believe me it's a hard job working under there!  I will be done by the Dinghy Show and will launch the following weekend at Datchet I think.

MikeDay

Michael

I remember fitting out Flipside from scratch 6 years ago.  I had taken lots of photos of other people's set-ups but it was still an incredibly time-consuming and expensive business.  I made about three separate trips to P&B and then some more locally to the Queen Mary chandlery.  And I still had to keep contacting other owners for measurements and exact positions.  For you, for the first time, I can really appreciate the challenge it is.  The thing you can never have enough of is penny washers.  None of this is a problem with the Paradigm package - thanks to Paul at Rondar and Dave Peacock, who has worked out everything.  So, all I have to do is sit back and be patient!

Mike D
N35**

grazz

Know the feeling Michael. Fitting out is a challenge, but it's very satisfying in the end when you have all the fittings exactly where you and your helm/crew want them, at the right angles, within easy reach, with the right number of purchases for your strength/fitness. Having done it twice already, it's worth taking the time to  get it right so when you're on the water and coming up to the windward mark in a close-run position, you can make all your rig adjustments quicker and more smoothly than the opposition (or at least that's the aim, human error permitting...). 
We're hoping that this time our fitting out will be faster having learned from previous experience, but the last two times we weren't juggling two small children while fishing blocks through the centreboard capping and didn't have wings or a trim tab board to add into the mix ??). 
G&Z

JohnMurrell

Had to go to Beer yesterday to collect my Natioanl12+2' from Kevin and saw the first kitten being weaned - and very pretty she looked too.

Jealous of those of you who have bought one of the first litter!

andymck

Just got my new number through.
Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

JohnMurrell

tedcordall

Note change in foredeck overhang from original! Measurement issues or manufacturing convenience?

andymck

Ted
Yes a bit of both, the original DCB really has no shear line forward, which was apparently very difficult to measure, and there was one small modification to allow it to do so, but still needs a lot of imagination. The rolled effect was also difficult and expensive to build, so decision was made to go for a clam shell hull deck moulding, for ease of build and cost. We are also hoping it might make the boat a little drier for the crews, as it was felt that would be as important as any saving on windage. I also like the look of the deck cut outs, to allow traditional rope arrangement for the shrouds and lowers, I felt that the rope running round the back on the Carbon Composite boat was an additional complication, although it did work ok on Jo's boat.
Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

Jane Wade

I was really not keen on trying to sail whilst sitting under a waterfall.  These boats can be wet enough as it is.
Jane
Crew of 352X

tedcordall

I thought the crew was there to just keep the spray off the helm!

Looks lovely, though.

andymck

Saw Tom's bpuncing kitten today, they have done a great job so far.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

n12 Bottom Banner