National 12 - find out more...

Out of stock???

Started by Tim Gatti, 27 Feb 2010, 03:05

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

Brian Herring has kindly gifted me an old IYE rudder stock so I can fit a lifting rudder to Tigress 3130.  However, these originally came with a bespoke tiller which slid into the extrusion on the top of the stock. See photos.  Just wondered if anyone out there still has one of these tillers that they are no longer using tucked away in an attic or garage?  Happy to pay something for it.  Perhaps we can do the deal at the Dinghy Show next weekend?
The stock also has a sliding white plastic roller built in near the top pintle - can anyone enlighten me as to what this is used for?  Does it slide down into a cut-out in the rudder head to hold the rudder blade up  ... or down?  Or does it serve some other purpose like acting as a sheave to reduce friction on the rudder downhaul line as it passes out of the stock and along the underside of the tiller?
Hope someone out there can help ?!
Entries are looking very healthy for Burton Week. Free jib draw will be made at the Boat Show!  Good luck if you are an early entry.
Tim

gerry ledger

Hi Tim .I have used these stocks, you are correct the wheel drops into a notch in the blade and the up haul string goes round it in the groove which when pulled pulls the wheel up against the spring getting the blade come up. Hope this helps      Gerry

Martin Scott (Guest)

Hi, I used one of these rudders of an Ent. You can convert to a wooden tiller by using a short piece of old Holt or RWO jib track upside down and bolted through the wooden tiller slightly let in. I hope this helps. Best of luck - Kind regards - Martin. Talisman 2576.

Tim Gatti

Thanks Gerry and Martin - v. useful feedback.  Looks like I might also be looking for a short length of old Holt or RWO jib track if an original tiller can't be found...

martin scott (Guest)

Hi once again. One more thought. You could use some L shape alluminim angle. Allowing one edge to go in the stock grove on the horizontal  and the other edge bonded and srewed to the sides of the new wooden tiller. B & Q do nice 1m alloy sections.?

tom lee

Tim,
I've got one spare. probably can't make the dinghy show this year but I'll try to get someone to take it there for you.
Tom<br />N3545

Derek

Tim,

Just as a quick caution from Gerry's comment. The shape of the notch that the nylon roller drops into is rather critical. It is meant to provide a release trip if you hit the bottom, which is fine if you get the angle right. If it is not steep enough, the roller spring will be forced upwards on a planing reach resulting in not steering when you most need it. If the angle is too steep and you whack the bottom, it will not trip and the notch provides a weak point in the blade - the blade can simply split down the grain from the bottom of the notch.
This all sounds a bit alarming but if you make the notch fairly steep and ALWAYS remember to trip it early as you come into the beach, it will be fine...hope this is of some help.
Derek

Tim Gatti

Tom - a big 'thank you' for that offer.  I have emailed you separately.
Derek - really useful advice - had a similar problem with a notched rudder on a cam system on the Baggy which kept flipping up at a critical moment - running out through the channel at Wells next the Sea at NW Norfolk Week last year in a stiff breeze was probably the most catastrophic.  Dave Peacock helped to identify the problem and it was later sorted by redrilling the pivot hole so the notch in the rudder head and the cam lined up more efficiently.
Since there is no spring-return on the stock I've got, I think I'll reverse thread it and use as an internal sheave to route a dyneema downhaul line through stock to cleat on tiller extension.  That, coupled with a big wing nut in the pivot bolt, should reduce any tendency for it to flip up went least expected!

johnk

I believe that Clamcleat make a downhaul cleat that will release under an (adjustable) large load. This means that your rudder stays down but if you plane up the beach it does not break the transom.

icecreamman

These Clamcleats are worth their weight in gold and I have invested in one for both my rudder and plate for any of those emergecies that tend to happen at places like Norfolk.

Tim Gatti

Yes - it might have been useful if they had been fitted to the Tigress.  The fixed rudder she came with has clearly bottomed on more than one occasion, judging by the multiple, horizontal splits in the transom - and the impromptu re-design of the rudder's leading edge!  But all will be made as good as new - and a lifting rudder fitted, hopefully in time for a re-launch at Annandale. Tim

Slippery-When-Wet (Guest)

Quote from: 154Yes - it might have been useful if they had been fitted to the Tigress.  The fixed rudder she came with has clearly bottomed on more than one occasion, judging by the multiple, horizontal splits in the transom - and the impromptu re-design of the rudder's leading edge!  But all will be made as good as new - and a lifting rudder fitted, hopefully in time for a re-launch at Annandale. Tim

Hey Tim! It was grounded way before my ownership of the boat and shipped a little when I had it, hence the botched repairs. As for the rudder, nothing to do with me either.
CU at the Dinghy Show! I'm there both days.
Jim.
ex 3470 and 3130 Now 59er GBR103

Tim Gatti

Hi Jim how are you doing with that 59er??  I wasn't having a go at you or anyone else - just observing how useful those clever little cleats can be - especially with fixed rudders.  Looking forward to seeing you at the show! Tim

Tim Gatti

Tom - many thanks for the ali tiller.  Picked it up from the N12 stand.  See you at BW for that pint?
Tim

n12 Bottom Banner