National 12 - find out more...

Splicing Excel Control

Started by emzcrusader, 22 Nov 2009, 04:34

« previous - next »

emzcrusader

Hi all,
Has anyone comre across Excel control line - it's inside out control line with the core being a weak filler and the strength being in the outer braid.  It's quite a new product.  To splice it, the core is cut out and the outer is passed inside itself (if that make sense).  I've seen the end results and it looks great - there is virtualy no increase in thickness and no soft white joiny bit that you normaly get. 
However, I've been struggling to make this work for weeks.  The outer braid is very strong and has little give in it.  I can't make a hole large enough for the outer braid to pass through.  I've tried traditional push fids, but they won't go into the braid fully.  I've tried a Swedish or pull fid, and that didn't work either - In fact I broke off the loop off.  I've tried MIG welding wire, adding silicion grease to help it slide etc etc...
I'm just about running out of ideas.  Can anyone help? Or is this post just a warning to others that this is an impossible task that will rob you of your sanity! 
Phil

Michael

I have a galery showing you how it's done.  I haven't actually done it myself and am not 100% sure that thes pics are in the right order.  Inviting you to view it now.  Let me know how you get on.  I will need to do it on my new boat in a few weeks.

emzcrusader

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the pics.  I think that is pretty much what i was trying to do!  Do you know if the rope in the slideshow is 4 or 5mm line?  My problem really comes down to getting enough of a hole so that the outer will fit through.  I have found that the wire fid works OK, but can't get a hollow (push) fid into the rope.
I have tried tapering the rope by cutting out 4 or 5 of the threads and this allows the thinned outer to fit in.  I will continue to experiment!
Phil

Michael

5mm.  Danny Clarke, the master of this (moth sailor), now uses 4mm.  I will send you his original pics which he took of the guy on the Marlow stand at The Excel show this year.

Tom s (Guest)

It might be worth your while speaking to Steve Hall at P&B. He has developed a fantastic Splicing Fid which makes this very easy.

Michael

I seem to have cracked this now bu using very thin wire which allows the outer to be pulled through much more easily.;D

intheboatshed

Any chance you could share the photos of the splicing process with everyone - I have some Excel to splice as well.
Thanks
Tim

Michael

Let me get them in the right order and then I will definitly!

n12 Bottom Banner