National 12 - find out more...

A bit of vintage sleuthing

Started by GarryR, 18 Mar 2010, 12:06

« previous - next »

GarryR

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Majestic-12-clinker-built_W0QQitemZ320503594520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing_Boats_ET?hash=item4a9f80be18
Here is a sad sight and it looks like a National 12.  It has the hoop transom horse, is missing the stern deck and has a hefty centreplate by the look of it.  It is unribbed.  Any of the vintage people recognise the design?  I am not the seller I hasten to add.  At the price and condition I am not that optimistic and would be too embarrassed to let a boat slip away like that.  The trolley looks a cracker too!!

paul turner

I have called the mobile in the advert, left a message and await a reply! I will post any info I get - but boat and trolley do look in a bit of state! And £50 does look a bit optimistic....... P :K)

martin 1262

and bid at your peril, given a -2 feedback rating!!!!!:-/

Roly Mo

that trolley is in a similar state to one we saw sell for £65 at a North West Norfolk boat jumble - and the lady was utterly thrilled with her purchase! 
RM

FuzzyDuck

Now thats what I call a project!
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

chalky

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86184903@N00/3442126519/in/set-72157617057847916/

This is a real project. Waterwitch was designed by Uffa Fox and is looking for a new owner prepared to rebuild a piece of history....

Tim Gatti

Interesting that the seller has called it a 'Majestic Twelve' and then described it as being only  10ft long in the ad.
Perhaps it shrank when it dried out?

paul turner

I have now spoken with the seller who was asked to dispose of the hull as a "charitable act" to avoid a bonfire. The boat is apparently N1380  - per the database "Sally" original name "Bubbles II", a Proctor Mark 6 built 1956. She appears to be a ribbed boat, but has 3 holes in the floor having been left on the ground; the foredeck also needs some work! No mast or boom but there are some sails and the centreboard is shown in the photos. Seller now aware that £50 is perhaps rather optimistic! I will bid £5 and rescue said yot as it is local to me and put it in one of our barns to dry out if anyone in the ribby section would like a project. RSVP soonest to me please. Paul :K) 07710 324 800

NTOACertification

It is probable that this boat being a Mark6 vintage 1956 will not be a ribbed boat but Glued Clinker. I think that there is a strong likelyhood that all the glue joints would be suspect.

Kevan Certification

johnk

According to the database N 1380 was a Wyche and Coppock boat. They used Aerodux IIRC. This glue is much longer lasting than Aerolite or Cascamite so it is quite possible that the glued joints are OK.

FuzzyDuck

Cascamite...... now theres a name to bring back memories of O level woodwork. happy days
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

paul turner

Still no bids on eBay; perhaps there will be a last minute rush!?
I have emailed Mike Nokes to confirm about the glue, but it may have been built before his time there (although he is reported to be writing a history of W&C)
P :K)

n12 Bottom Banner