National 12 - find out more...

Grippy varnish

Started by ifoxwell, 06 Apr 2010, 10:37

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Hi all
Great days sailing on Sunday...
The bailer that sunk us last time out, and that I bodeged during the week has now had its status elevated to 'repaired' as it worked perfectly.
We had a another great F4, all be it a bit chilly, and as we now had an idea of what we were up against we could start to really enjoy her.... and to finish the day with two firsts in our medium handicap fleet round it off perfectly.
But
I dont know if its just me and my boots but I cant get any grip in the boat.
Whats the trick with varnish and suger?... and does it work?
Cheers
Ian and Hannah
3162 Bicycle Clips

Jeremy C

Glad you got the bailer sorted out quickly.. as to slippy decks... gripping wax from surf boards is a very popular option for the back corner of a 12!!!
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Chadders

Varnish and sugar does work I am told so does fine builders sand and both can look good if you mask off neatly in the area you want the non slip.  Make sure you rub down well then varnish and sprinkle in the sand.  When its fully dry vac out the excess sand and re-varnish again using an old brush and two coats.  Two pack is best but I have done it with one pack on my vintage and its fine.  great in the bottom of the boat but not for decks unless you want to replace your pants after each race.  High Build two pack with cilica gel works well for glass/epoxy interiors too in fact on my D8 it worked too well and I ended up smoothing off the peaks.

darebarry

Hi Go to your local pet shop, sand for the bird cage is good. Use an old tea strainer to apply a fine even coat. If you use to much sand the varnish will not set to a hard surface.
As used on many Pudding boats. dare barry. N3521

ifoxwell

Hi guys
Thanks as ever for all the prompt advice
I like the idea of the sugar as you wash away half the extra weight, rather than the sand where you cover it with more varnish to seal it all in.... 
Is the sand better, easier or is it just that you guys haven't used the sugar method?
Cheers
Ian

Lukepiewalker

I believe the idea with sugar is that the grip comes from the holes left when the sugar washes away, rather from the sugar itself. Whereas the sand itself provides the grip with the sand plan. It's the eternal battle between the right amount of grip and the right amount of material left on the arse of your trousers.

Alistair Edwards

I have just used varnish and sugar on Catatonic. I am very pleased with the results. The sugar washes out and leaves a subtle but effective non-slip surface. I am getting excellent grip and the wood looks good too.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

angus

I used varnish and sugar in one of my previous boats and it worked very well. I think it is a bit less abraisive than sand but still gives plenty of grip, In my present boat I am using surf wax which also works very well but looks a bit messy and needs replacing from time to time.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner