National 12 - find out more...

Clew outhaul?

Started by Phil Brown, 14 Apr 2010, 10:04

« previous - next »

Phil Brown

I'm looking for a clew outhaul system on a carbon boom that has minimal friction. At the moment I've got a strap that goes round the boom fastened with velcro but it doesn't run freely

A neat solution I've seen has a s/s rod inside the boom with a slot in the top of the boom to allow a block to run along the rod and to which the mainsail clew is fastened. Anyone use this system? If so, is it hollow tube or solid rod, what is its diameter and length and how are the ends fixed to the boom?

Cheers
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

paul turner

I had this system on the carbon boom on N3500; Mike at Aardvark designed and built it in - it worked very well but could have done with being a little longer. Suggest contacting him or Terry. P:K)

Jane Wade

Hi Phil
I think we have the same as your original set up on both 3512 and 3527.  Have you tried spraying the boom with mac lube?  Ours works well but does need a spray from time to time.

Jane

andyp

Hi,
I had the same problem when I first got the FF, tried a number of solutions which didn't work so finally bit the bullet and went for the solution you are describing and haven't looked back, to the point where I'd forgotten I'd made the change.
unless anyone has the information to hand I can take some measurements and photos at the weekend and send them through.  I received all the infomation from a friendly N12 sailor at Hykeham, he sent me photos measurements and even a spare metal rod! (I think he got the information from Graham Camm originally)
From memory the rod is about 10mm thick, (thin enough for a block to run on it but thick enough to drill a hole through it at each end) it's around 20cm long,
The rod is bolted to the boom with very small bolts but big washers!) There is a slot cut along the boom with the bolt hole at either end of the slot

ifoxwell

Bicycle clips came with a rope clew strap that has a load of small balls on it, which although the boom is a little lower than idea, works brilliantly. I think the balls are just the plastic balls that you buy to stick on the end of a control line but i may be wrong.
You may just be able to see them on teh pictures in the data base.
Regards
Ian

Chris Troth

My Angell boom as the built in tube and block system - works very nicely.
Chris

Antony (Guest)

I have had both, my first 12 had a bar cut into a metal needlespar boom!  My view has long been that although the bar/inverted block option is the best option it is not worth the effort or cost vs the very simple alternatives (on the three last boats we had two with the bobbles on a string and then one with the velcro strap).  I guess in recent years we have not spent a lot of time in light weather on short inland courses, i can see that there are circumstances where less friciton matters more.
The D8 we have now happens to have ended up with a boom (probably Angell) with the bar!  As of last weekend it also sports some rather smart sails from 3514 so is all ready to go sailing again.
Antony
N3348

FuzzyDuck

I've always found a load of balls works well.
My new old boat has a track in the Aluminium and it is terrible. Must add that to the jobs to do list.
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Jon711 (Guest)

On the Blaze I used to use balls and string, and they were very effective, just very fiddly to tie when rigging.  I now use a Velcro Strap with lots of Mclube, I have also discovered that the NWNW stickers are very good to assist the sliding.  On the 12's I crewed I seem to recall that we always used balls with string (and I think that was how one bought from Alan Bax was rigged....
Jon Thompson

n12 Bottom Banner