National 12 - find out more...

T foils - again!

Started by paul turner, 06 Jun 2010, 11:54

« previous - next »

paul turner

The more I read about T Foils the more confused I am getting! However, having seen the difference that this kit made to Graham's speed at TVSC in a modest breeze over a very short distance paced against a Foolish and Paradigm2 has convinced me to look further at this. The latest thoughts and discussions seem to be posted as follows:
http://www.national12.org/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.cgi?m-1268223866/s-new/#num14
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6797&PN=1

I am looking to retro fit to N3157 but the issues seem to be as follows:

1. The transom will need to be significantly strengthened.
2. The current production foils do not yet appear to be strong enough (noting the various failures at the Burton) but I understand that the players are now working on this?
3. No clear guidance/preference on depth of T on size/design.
4. Moving the blade rather than the whole stock looks at first sight to be a simpler solution but has few followers and apparently technical agruements against (too complicated for a simple soul such as I!)
5. Control lines are favoured over twist grips? The latter are difficult to operate when sitting back?
6. No standard retro packages yet available?
An idiots guide would be gretly apprecaited! Px :K)

darebarry

Hi Paul.
We finished in the teens in a home built wooden boat with a retro fitted Composite craft rudder & Stock hung on existing transom fittings. Nothing broke and we were pleased with our results. The rudder blade is a copy of Joe's on his DCB and seems to work, guess it will be a long time before we know what is best, if you are worried about the stregnth of you transom extra foam and carbon adds confidence. If you want any pics of our set up give me a call.
Cheers Dare 

Lukepiewalker

Surely the important question is what colour you should paint it.

martin 1262

Paul
Lukepw is right not worth doing unless its pink, so everyone in the AC fleet can see you got one!  ;)
Martin

paul turner

Thank you Martin and Luke for your really helpful contributions! ??)
Dare, I would much appreciate photos of your set up because, from memory of wandering around the dinghy park at Weymouth, your solution did seem to be slick and simple enough for me to understand and implement! We GOM must stick together! Cheers, Paul

Michael

Have a chat with Bob Preston at Composite Craft 01983 240444.  he will talk through the options with you.  Michael

n12 Bottom Banner