National 12 - find out more...

getting back into 12s

Started by tonyelgar, 01 Jun 2010, 08:47

« previous - next »

tonyelgar

Hi,
after having seen burton week from a distance this weekend (I live in weymouth! And yes, I know - but I couldn't get away from work anyway:(), and the other half showing an interest in going sailing with me I am seriously considering getting another 12.  Been sailing a lark recently and had alot of club success, but its not the same is it:)! We are going to be on the heavy side (21-23 stone) but I think it'll be more fun, plus "Run Fat Boy Run" has just joined WSC so there could be some competition.
If there is anyone mad enough to want to swap / part ex either a crusader/D8/early AC final chapter/man-o-war then I would be very interested in hearing from them, as I do really need to clear the lark first. Somewhere around the £800 - £1200 mark tops really. Alternatively if there is a good project for very little money I may go down that route for next season.
Cheers

Tony (ex 2760 ex3255)
ex 2760/3255

Tim Gatti

Hi Tony - very glad to hear you are thinking of coming back to the 12 Fleet after your short break.
You could do worse than look at the Man of War - Magic Pudding N3451 - see the 'For sale' section of the 12 site. Dare has rebuilt this boat relatively recently and I gather she is in excellent condition and very well spec'd. She's been on the market for a while so you may be able to get her for a price within your budget.  Well worth a try and I'm sure Dare would be very happy to talk to you about her if you have any questions - you'll find his number in the Yearbook of course.
Good luck.
Tim

tonyelgar

Thanks Tim.
Giving it some thought I'm more swayed by the idea of an AC boat. I think I have a better chance of competing in AC fleets if we got on the road, and my girlfirend is a somewhat novice sailor still, so AC might be better in that respect too. I have made some enquiries though!

Tony
ex 2760/3255

Chadders

How about Philip David's Baggy, very quick and full carbon rig etc if a little bit pricey but he is currently looking longingley at local Foolish so worth a sensible offer perhaps?

Chadders

Hmm read the top again based on your weight the Crusader, D8 or Chapter options may be better.

Chadders

Hi Tony, another possibility in terms of a Crusader is N3236 which is currently owned by Simon Hopkins.  Not sure if it is on the for sale list but he was certainly considering selling it he was saying after Burton.  He is in the book if you want to give him a call or his email address is simon@hopkin1-adsl.demon.co.uk 
Sorry I dont know a lot about the boat but even with Simon's weight in she certainly powered past me at Weymouth!   8)

Mike S (Guest)

Crusader N3274 is for sale. Should be on the For Sale section in a short while.

mg.storey@virgin.net

tonyelgar

Just to enlighten my ignorant mind, what are the big differences between the 3 types of the crusader? From having a hunt about on the forums and boat database a trend certainly seems to be people found the '88 to be more challenging in the light stuff? Im based on the sea so getting the right variant is going to be important, I struggled with the cheshire cat, since she was much happier on river/inland orientated waters.
Cheers  
Tony
ex 2760/3255

broz

We owned Magice Pudding and a a D8 at the same time.The D8 is much faster than the Man-O-War which is wye we still own and sail the D8. We sat on a good Allby today in light winds(7mph) and we had 25 stone in the boat.
The important thing is to get on the water, buy a boat, get sailing, and move on to a better -- faster boat at the end of the season. 

tonyelgar

If I wanted to do that I could keep the lark! I appreciate what ur saying broz but this isn't my first 12, I'm looking at it as an 18 month- 2year purchase and then see what's what. My last was a baggy which I could never get a suitable crew weight for and it was a bit soul destroying. Especially when u teach sailing for a living - u think  u should be going better than u are, but it can be more like sweeping ball bearings uphill!
ex 2760/3255

Dave Croft

Hi Tony,
As a past owner of your last boat I think I can understand where you are coming from. 3255 was not an easy boat to sail fast but was capable of going very fast at times. I think this is common with the baggys that came off the Chrshire Dinghy and Dive moulds. One thing for sure is that baggies don't like to carry weight and the only success we had was one year when we spent a lot of time down the gym and away from the pub!
Crusader would be a good chice, I believe the Crusader 88 was a variation from Gery Ledger and I understand that it has a bit more buoyancy under the mast. Might be worth a call to Gery to clarify? If I am right I think an "88" should carry weight well. I have also been told but can't remember the source that design 8 was very close to a Crusader. A Final Chapter might be a better bet on the sea and they were designed to carry weight. They are probbaly a bit sticky in the light stuff and inland but that shouldn't worry you. A Tigress is another possibility, in my view a better weight carring boat then your previous Cheshire Cat but maybe not so good these days on the sea.
Cheers, Dave

martin 1262

Tony
I had a Crusader 88, and did not get on very well. It was not very good in light airs. If I had my time again I would have bought a Crusader. Interestingly enough the guy who bought my 88 de keeled it, and it seemed to make some difference, but I guess an original Crusader de keeled would be my bet now!
Martin

tonyelgar

Thanks for all the input guys,
I have a (hopfully) serious buyer down to weymouth for the lark tonight, so fingers crossed. Me and simon have been chatting about 3236 so things are looking like I will be back in a 12 very soon!

Tony
ex 2760/3255

FuzzyDuck

And if things go to plan I will be in a different 12!
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Jane Wade

Oooh do tell Simon?  Your son has been gossiping on facebook.
Jane

n12 Bottom Banner