National 12 - find out more...

Bicycle clips

Started by ifoxwell, 16 Jun 2010, 10:07

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Hi All
Just posted a thread on the boat data base about our boat
http://www.national12.org/boats/index.php?action=view&value=3162
Bassicaly we are loving our sailing in Clips and as every one we meet seems to know the boat we wondered if some of you could fill in some of her history for us.
Cheers
Ian and Hannah
Bicycle clips

David (Guest)

The first Baggy Trousers were Baggy Trousers and Token Gesture and were built by Dave Peacock and Rob Peebles, Nigel Waller subsequently built a series of wooden Baggy Trousers which included Norah Batty (Leslie Ross), Baggy AArdvaak (Mike Hoyle) and Bicycle Clips which was originally owned by John Sears and was a consistently good performer at championships in the early years.

andymck

Ian

John Sears first had her on the river in Nottingham both at NSC and Trent Valley. He sailed her there with his then wife sarah for quite a few years. They were the boat to beet in a breeze, having many very close battles with Tony Edwards sailing Gillespie which we used to watch with fascination as kids. I had the chance to crew for John a few times during this time. the boat was sold to another member who never had the same success when John bought Simply Red. It then disappeared for a while, to reappear with Steve Norbury a bit later. Steve was just about the quickest boat at the Llandudno Nats, which is where the iconic picture of bicycle clips was taken. He had similar issues about keeping her upright at that time. He then had her faired an repainted to take a mould off her, from which the Ridge baggys were built. He then went onto win the nats in one of these. I bought clips off him when at uni and sailed her for a couple of years until the money ran out, making a huge jump in performance, but never quite being consistent enough due to lack of time and too many pies. I sold her in about '94 to Chris Barnes, who is the brother of "basher" barnes of L5000, and now B14 fame. I lost track of her after that and have only just come back to 12's myself. Glad to see her going so well still. She is still my fave 12. 
I think there have been a few mods over the years, the centreboard case was always a bit weak to bashes with feet etc, have did have the floor sheathed. I think the part rear tank went at some point.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

chopper

for the record gillespie is alive and well still going quick

regards Paul

ifoxwell

Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply.
In that 'Its a small world' way, Simply Red was possibly the first twelve I sailed. I taught myself to sail at Chipstead in 2002-3 single handed in an old Firefly and Laurie Norman, the then owner, would let me borrow it on occasions.
In terms of its strength I'm just amazed at how much punishment  a 30 year old wooden boat (that still has lead in it was built so light!) can take. We have been out in some pretty extreme weather since owninig her and she just keeps on going with little more than the occasional creak to trouble us.
A real testament to the builder, and all those who have looked after her so well since.
Ian

chopper

funny you should talk about simply red I crewed in her at I think the 88 nationals at whitstable
small world

n12 Bottom Banner