National 12 - find out more...

Plans for an Uffa King

Started by Tim Gatti, 27 Oct 2010, 05:19

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

As part of a project for my boatbuilding  course, I am trying to track down a set of original plans and offset tables for an Uffa King (Uffa Fox's design for the 1st National 12).
Our Association Officers do not know of any and Yachting World, who originally issued them, no longer have a copy in their archive.

If anyone knows of the whereabouts of a set of these plans please could you let me know.
Thanks
Tim

johnk

Robin Steavenson said in his "The Story of National Twelves" p 147 that Yachting World gave him the last known set of Uffa King plans. Has Howard Steavenson still got them? He might know where they went.

duncan

If I remember correctly, there was a book about UK's boat designs with quite a few diagrams.  Next time I am visiting my parents, I will have a look & let you have more info.
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

Tim Gatti

Thanks for help and advice.

I'll get in touch with Howard S to see if he has anything in the Steavenson archive.

If not I'll contact the Uffa Fox website where it looks like plans, lines  etc can be purchased for £40

Tim

ken goddard

Tim,
I have found a copy of the article in "Yachting World" of March 6 1936, wherein are the lines of the Uffa King. I used these lines, enlarged, to create the stand for "Witch" N.153 at the 2006 annual Dinghy Show at Alexandra Palace, where we exhibited 5 boats. If these lines are what you are looking for, I will post them to you straight away- please advise address.
The stand itself might be useful to you. I think this is the stand which I delivered to Ian Purkis, for his restoration of a ribbed boat from the ISCA collection. However remember that the stand is inclined at 10 degrees to the vertical.
Ken Goddard (N.2300)

Tim Gatti

Thanks Ken
At the moment I'm thinking of purchasing a full set of plans from the Uffa Fox website,  but if you could post me what you have to the address below I will see if it may help save me some money!
Tim

IBTC

Sea Lake Road
Oulton Broad
Lowestoft
Suffolk
NR32 3LQ

Chadders

Hi Chaps  Re Ken's stand it could once again be useful as N1 is now around and available.  Just a thought please dont chop them up for firewood.

ken goddard

Good idea to use the Uffa King stands for N.1 - maybe at the Dinghy Show? - but Ian Purkis has them now. Better ask him if he has saved them from firewood.
Ken Goddard

mikehoyle

Tim
I think I may have full set tucked away - will take a look over the weekend. 
Mike

Tim Gatti

Ian still has the stands safely stored away in his garage after I returned them last March when they were used to 'support' N341 at the Dinghy Exhibition.
Tim

mikehoyle

Tim
   OK, eventually took a look last night.  I have what appears to be a full set of drawings including lines, full size (I think) sections, buttocks, GA's and construction details.  They are mostly in good shape except for one end of the sections drawing which shows some additional details that I have not yet understood (not because it is moth-eaten).  I did not spot a table of offsets, but did not fully unroll each drawing.
   I think these belong to the Association and came to me from John Sears when I took over from him as chief measurer way back when.  I had forgotten I had them until recently when I cam across them whilst having a turnout prior to some decorating.
   If you want to see them, let me know ( mike.j.r.hoyle@googlemail.com / 07747795443 ) and we can sort the logistics.  I suggest that they end up in the safe keeping of the Hon records officer, if he will have them. 

Mike

Tim Gatti

Mike - many thanks. 
I'll call you later this evening.
I will raise the issue of the long-term keeping of the Uffa King plans and drawings at the Committee meeting this weekend.
Tim

n12 Bottom Banner