National 12 - find out more...

Silly German (me) wants to build a Man-O'-War

Started by mariusb, 16 Jul 2010, 12:38

« previous - next »

mariusb

This may sound a bit silly, but i would like to buid a National 12. It's a bit silly because i live in Germany where there isn't really any opportunity to test specific N12 designs as there is no real N12 scene here. But still, the N12 looks like the perfect dinghy for me.
I'd like to build a boat â€" simply for the joy of building â€" that i can sail in a larger salty inland lake in Holland (Grevelingenmeer). More to the point, i find the Man-O'-War design so aesthetically pleasing that my heart is kind of set on building one of these. It does not really matter that it is probably hard or even impossible to have it measured in Germany or Holland as there are no races there anyway. I understad that the Man-O'-War is a design by Dare Barry. Dare, if you are reading this: Do you have any plans available for the Man-O'-War that you are willing to give away for a fee or a donation to the National 12 Owner's Association? If Dare isn't reading this, does anybody know how to contact him?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered and please excuse my English â€"
Marius

Michael

Marius, Luok at the ownwes stuff tab at the top of this page, then technical stuff, then amature building and then building in wood.  I'm sure Dare will contact you sometime soon.  please kkep us all up to date with your build project:)

darebarry

Hi Marius. I have sent you E Mail today. There is already one being built in Germany and one in South Carolina USA
Cheers Dare N3521 The Ginger Pudding

mariusb

Hi all,
thanks for your input. I read the amateur's building guide, that's how i came across Dare's design. I'll keep you all updated once the building has begun (probably around september). The only thing that really frightens me is the rudder, but we'll see. But then agian, probably the most frustrating problems will appear where i won't expect them. But building wouldn't be fun if it was no challenge, would it?

Cheers,
Marius

Michael

Composite Craft in the UK built Dare's rudder and mine. www.compositecraft.co.uk rock solid!

darebarry

Hi Marius.
I have sent you a further E Mail. Have you received OK?
Dare

I am also very interested in building a boat of this design, wish i would have known about the one being built in South Carolina.  I just moved from South Caroline to Norfolk, Virginia.  I would like to here about Marius experience so far and if Dare happens back to this old thread I would appreciate the opportunity to talk to him about getting his design.
thanks

n12 Bottom Banner