National 12 - find out more...

Cirus Icon

Started by ifoxwell, 14 Feb 2011, 03:05

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Probably poor form to discuss a competing boat on this forum.... but I'll ask the question any way.

Are there any twelve sailors on here that have tried the boat or at least seen it sailing. How does it compare.

I'm asking because we love our 12 so much (Bicycle clips) that we would love to get a newer, stiffer, arguably more competative design but there just arnt any around for sale at a price we can afford. We tried to buy 3462 a couple of weeks ago and one other that I tracked down privatly that hadn't even been offered for sale at that time, and even though I was the first to contact them, offer the money, arrange to view, for some I didnt get a chance to buy them! And they were the first newish boats I'd come accross in about 8 months.

I'd love to buy Old Socks but cant really aford that much... and that got me thinking...  If I could afford it would I be better off buying a new Icon any way. New boat, new class etc  etc.

I suspect I'd find that we wernt big enough to enjoy it in a blow and that it would be too boring to sail, both technically and in terms of the whole sailing experiance.... but am i being unkind.

Not really thinking of jumping ship so to speak, the 12 is just to much fun but when you cant find the boat you want it does get you thinking

Ian
3162 Bicycle Clips

andymck

Ian
I think that Mr Carey has been in it a bit. He took some of the videos. I was quite interested in this boat to start with. They even looked to be listening when they agreed to go for a dangly pole system. I sail at my home club with my wife sometimes, and we are a little but too beefy for the 12 in reality. I just get away with it sailing with Clare. We would still be under the target weight for the iCON though. If they had gone for a raking rig, even without adjustable shrouds or lowers, it would have given u a chance in breeze. The jib sheet set up also looks like its been nicked from Laser 2, so leech tension is going to be a pig to adjust, so I have gone off it.
The hull shape is also optimised for upwind planing, which they have said was the aim from the start, so despite it being marketed for inland venues, it seems to be a compromise shape. 
I wish them well, but I currently would not jump until there were enough numbers for it to be a success, as I cant see past the little things that make my life so pleasant on the 12. But then I am short sighted and do wear glasses. Also wary as own a single-hander  which should be doing a lot better than it is.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

inthepottingshed

Ian,

What are you sailing objectives?

What benefit do you think you will get from having a different design?

Why are you in such a hurry to change your boat? You seem to be enjoying Bicycle Clips.

Tim

Ian (Guest)

Quote from: 682Ian,

What are you sailing objectives?

What benefit do you think you will get from having a different design?

Why are you in such a hurry to change your boat? You seem to be enjoying Bicycle Clips.

Tim

Yup we love the boat, and our only real reason to change is just to save on the upkeep. Old wooden boats and sailing 12 months of the year dont really mix with me... If clips was a nice stiff plastic boat we wouldnt be thinking of changing.

O and because Clips is so good I see little point in changing to an D8 or and old plastic baggy or chapter, as although i would save on teh upkeep I cant help but think that what ever it was just wouldnt be as good, and I'd thus end up frustrated and wishing I'd just stuck to what I have.

Trick Cyclist

I have sailed the Icon a couple of times but only the first version, before it was chopped, widened and lengthened so can't really say too much about the final version. Was offered a trial of it last weekend but weather wasn't inspiring. My view from the first version was that it was overpowered as we were flat hiking it like mad in a F3 upwind and there was probably 23-24 stone in the boat. I didn't like the way it tacked but that might have been because I was not used to it. I think it might make a nice open water boat, but not convinced that it is either a lake or riverboat, though would like to try final version before any firm conclusion. Certainly not as exciting as a twelve, though I daresay faster, but just doesn't have that heart in your mouth feeling that a twelve gives!

It is a shame there are not any boats on the market for you Ian, anyone out there got a suitable boat not being used they would sell?

How about Nathans Big Issue 2? Haven't seen it around for a while and I know it was on the for sale list last year?

Jeremy

Martin

And now there is the Riverboat XI being discussed on Y&Y right now.  Seems an even more unlikely contender complete with kite!

n12 Bottom Banner