National 12 - find out more...

Replacing drysuit seals

Started by Pip, 09 Feb 2011, 02:32

« previous - next »

Pip

Hi all,

Unfortunately at the weekend I managed to rip the wrist seal on my drysuit, so I need to replace it as I don't really feel ready to go back to wearing a wetsuit just yet.

I know you can buy DIY kits, but part of me feels it would be a lot less hassle if I could get someone else to do it (lazy student syndrome).  I know when my neck seal went my Mum posted it off to someone who kindly did it and posted it back, however she can't remember who!

Does anyone know of a post off repair service?  I am now based in Birmingham, but without a car so I'd be interested if there was anyone local.

Thanks!
Pip

Mike S (Guest)

I sent mine last year to Dave Thomasson. 
dave@drysuitrepair.co.uk
Mike S
N3491

Daniel (Guest)

It is very easy to change the seals, I suggest you go to the florist and ask for the green foam they use for flower arrangements, this can used as a mold to hold the seal and suit in place and then the gluing is easy, just watch youtube plenty of examples, then once dry squeeze the seal and the foam collapses and comes out easily. My local florist actually has three sizes of foam and luckily they are wrist, ankle and neck, but I am sure they were not designed that way.

If you choose to change them good luck, but I found it very easy and also did it for a diving drysuit.

Chris (Guest)

Phone 07973720732 and as to speak to dave.
Based near coleshill just outside birmingham.

Martin

Just had my Typhoon back from Hammond Drysuits for replacement neck seal, tidy up a repair I did to the leg some years ago, pressure tested and one or two other bits.  very prompt service.

Jane Wade

P&B do drysuit repairs.

David Wilkins (Guest)

I repaired a hole in my foot seal with a cycle punture repait kit - no problems to report. I guess it might not work so well on a part which is subjected to a lot more stretching to get the suit on and off.
Happy sailing!
David

Pip

Thanks for the info everybody :)  I hope to get it sorted this week - which should make the hot weather arrive...yes??

n12 Bottom Banner