National 12 - find out more...

Speedsails tapedrive sails

Started by andymck, 14 Feb 2011, 01:24

« previous - next »

andymck

I don't know if anyone has noticed the new sails from speeds with the tapedrive system. They look quite pimped, but I noticed a thread on the MR page which has suggested that they are illegal, as the tapes are considered to be secondary reinforcement outside the area where this is allowed. I think they are awaiting clarification from the RYA about this. 
This also means the boat that won the sailjuice series was technically out of class.
Will our rules permit these sails?

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

Dave Croft

Interesting thread on the Merlin site but they seem to be getting a bit jumpy and have closed the thread!
Equipment rules of sailing is clear on secondary reinforment. I would have expected a sailmaker to at least get a ruling from the class measurer before trying a new construction.

MikeDay

This is what they look like: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/?s=64&PID=58979 - and gosh, there is a lively debate on the Merlin forum.  They do look rather nice, though ...

Mike D
N3533

Dave Croft

I agree with Mike, thay do look good and a line of development that should be encouraged. I just think we all need to take heed from the Merlin experience on this and not use experimental stuff in major handicap events!

Nick Copsey

I think that the big winter handicap events are the perfect place for experimenting as it enables you to judge your boat speed without having to risk it at more important class events but you still get lots of good sailors to compare to, however i don't think it would be appropriate to sail with equipment which is in doubt over its legality without asking for permition from the race officer.

Dave Croft

Yes, the point here is if it's not 100% legal either ask the race organisers first or use the kit at your club or class meetings. I feel a bit sorry for the Merlins as the fall out seems to be disproportionate but there is a valuable lesson to be learnt here and one the development classses should note. These big winter meetings are high profile and a show-case  they get a lot of publicity. Ironic also that the Merlins are rather conservative (small c) in their approach to development.

NTOACertification

A few years ago, some of you might remember, I made Terry Cooke a sort of tape drive Mainsail ( suggested by Steve Norbury) made  of 2 oz Kevlar laminate  with carbon tapes stuck on to help the stresses etc. I think this sail is still around and was quite successfull
The National Twelve rules don't have secondary reinforcing limits ( only Primary ) the body of the sail has to be capable of being folded flat. what is defined as flat is another story. But the sail passed measurement and only where the tapes converged together did you need to be carefull of the stiffening rule. We also used carbon tapes to reinforce the foot stresses from time to time.
Kevan Bloor

n12 Bottom Banner