National 12 - find out more...

Age related handicaps

Started by ifoxwell, 25 Feb 2011, 09:25

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Appears that we have done a bit to well this year in Bicycle clips and the Medium fleet is starting to moan about our PY (even though in terms of the club prises we did better in the Merlin, 29er, Buzz, that we had previously) The club currently use the age related PY, in the same way that they do for Merlins... and Tigger, an old Tigress sailed by a good helm but normally a scartch crew (the only other 12 at the club) does ok but not birlliantly using the same PY numbers

So how many clubs use age related PY's and how many just stick to the published RYA figure.

Ian

Chadders

Hi Ian I am unable to comment other than Yeadon and Ripon, I am fairly sure that Ripon use them and Yeadon certainly do but it is up to the clubs as to whether they use them or not.  The intention is to even up the playing field a bit for the older boats however when an older boat has a modern carbon rig and fairly new kevlar sails etc like Bicycle Clips I can see where this could be challenged.  It will be interesting to see the information from other fleets on this.

Martin

We have always used the latest no for N12s at Mid Warwickshire even when we were sailing Scooters, Pipedreams and Cheshire Cats. We never had a problem and were always competitive because the water was well suited to four plankers.
We now have a Foolish and Annie Apple.  Still competitive but do not dominate especially since British Moths have come onto the scene and revel on our very restricted water. The Supernvoas have also improved greatly.
For various reasons the two 12s have not been so active of late.  Hope to rectify this soon and get to grips with my refurbed boat and new sails and get locked into mortal combat!

Gareth

Hi Ian,
I always sailed Bicycle Clips off the standard RYA PY, although I was sailing manager at the time so adjusting my own PY might have caused more than a few complaints.  I got enough complaints about the bandit N12 handicap sailing off the standard number! We stick to published numbers for all boats at Leigh and Lowton, it's just easier than dealing with the "well I've got an old laser, can I have a different PY as well?"
Cheers
Gareth

ifoxwell

Hi Gareth
Yup I dont have an issue either way as Clips is a great boat but its a little more unkind on Tigger and any other old boats that may appear in the future.
It also has to be rembered that we sail on a huge expanse of caparitivly open water and in a mixed fleet of what a lot of people would call fast boats, and as such dont fit into the normal 12 bandit conditions.
Regards
Ian

johnk

If as a club you submit race results and times electronically, the RYA will generate a set of yardsticks bsed on your club data. This will assume that all classes have the same average crew skill factor. 

Mike S (Guest)

At IBRSC (medium size open reservoir)  the 2 modern 12s sail very competitively off 1078 vs Lasers at 1088.

Mike S
N2391

Roly Mo

We do use the age related handicaps at Ripon for club racing, which means N3447 and N3334 sail in our fast handicap fleet but N2149 gets to go with the medium handicappers.  We too get all sorts of comments about being bandits, but ignore them!  I wasn't the one who suggested using the age related handicaps but I am more than happy to go with the wishes of others!  
RM
N2149/3334/3447

paul turner

We use the age related at TVSC with no grumbling from the Merlins and Lasers (except when we beat them on the water before the times are worked out!). Incidentally we managed a 2nd and 3rd at Staunton Harold last weekend in their large and very competative handicap fleet in Shotgun N2359 on age related p/y - but no fall out from that yet! Px :K)

Antony (Guest)

We do at RHYC, but the numbers are 1058, 1078 and 1098 for the three bands used with us in the D8 at 1078 effectively level rating with both the Lasers and the RS200s.  It makes for better racing even if it is a pretty harsh PY... and it still comes down to conditions and course .. although in our 4-5 races last year i think that we were unbeaten.
I do not think that Aldeburgh give their Baggy/D8 fleet the age benefit, but they seem to do ok too even if they end up grumbling about the Squib handicap.
I guess the new problem is the wings, my boat being worth about the same as a set of wings and the necessary re-fitting to make it work... and I cannot see a sensible way to accomodate that in a way that it is fair to expect a club to incorporate.
Antony
N3348

paul turner

Thinks - there's got to be a better way of describing the p/y ratings than "AGE RELATED"? Px :-/

Gerry Ledger (Guest)

Yes Paul I too think we ought to have an age related handicap. Gerry Ledger

n12 Bottom Banner