National 12 - find out more...

T foil rudder conversion on a Winder Foolish

Started by ifoxwell, 25 Mar 2011, 10:12

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

Morning all

Do I remember some talk a while back about P&B - Winder looking into an official T foil conversion for their Foolish's

Did this get done, is there a price.... or better still a parts list and procedure for home completion?

Cheers

Ian

Jeremy C

Ian,

I was up at P&B on saturday for a committee meeting and have a couple of photos of the first P&B foolish Toil conversion.. Its not quite finished  but its going to be a very neat system...

see below:

More info will be coming from P&B I believe when first conversion is complete..
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

ifoxwell

Looks good

So their modifying a pink Foolish first then... I've not yet attended an open meeting and yet even I can make a stab at who's boat that must be!

Ian

Lukepiewalker

Will we be renaming converted ones 'Foilish'es...

martin 1262

So how much will this cost??  Sorry so sound so vulgar!!

Jane Wade

I am assuming that the pink one will actually be free as it is generating so much publicity for P&B and it is the one they are learning on :)

ifoxwell

Is there any plan to retrofit a centerboard as well Jane, so that we can all find out once and for all if the DCB was the step forward it seams or just a well sorted boat with the must have gadget of the moment fitted to it.

That said I guess if its faster with just the rudder then i guess we'll know!
Ian

Jane Wade

No plans on the centre board but the other pink one also has a conventional centre board so we are comparing like for like.  Not yet sure when the boat will emerge from P&B so don't know when any conclusive evidence will be available.

ifoxwell

O thats interesting Jane... so how many of the DCB's have the trim tab board. I just thought everyone had them although personnaly it seems like one extra peice of complexity I could live with out.

Ian

Jane Wade

I know that Tom, Jonno & Char don't have the trim tab, Graham & Zoe do, not sure about the others...

Jane Wade

...and as far as complexity goes I entirely agree.

andymck

Tom has a trim tab, and a new system which I am having retrofitted at the moment. Did him ok at the inlands. I do and so does Steve and Graham. The two non P&B boats both have them.
Graham has a novel control system. Mine was like jo's but it has damaged the trailing edge a lot, and so am going for the new system Tom has.
One thing, it makes it feel like you tack through soup in the light winds. if its turned on.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

Jane Wade

I don't think Tom had one in Weymouth although he may have one now.

Steve (Guest)

I have the trim tab centreboard and I would agree with Andy on the damage and the light airs issue. In the right conditions (medium wind strengths) I feel it does give a bit of a benefit. 
Getting the board down at the leeward mark is an issue with the system I have, so I was considering making some changes. I wasn't aware that Tom had fitted a different system to his. Maybe Andy or Tom could enlighten me about the details.

Steve
N3531

Martin

Not sure if I heard correctly, but I believe I was told a while ago that Graham has a smaller T Foil for use on puddles/rivers where frequent tacking is the norm and which has proved quite successful.  Is this the case and if so is there any likelihood of such a system becoming commercially available?

n12 Bottom Banner