National 12 - find out more...

Rough Diamond

Started by paulburton44, 15 Nov 2010, 07:55

« previous - next »

paulburton44

Hi, I bought Rough Diamond earlier in the year. I sailed her through the season, but the time has come for a new coat of paint.

paulburton44

I have started sanding her.....garage is now very dusty...

paulburton44

paulburton44

Should I take the keels off ? Why ?
How would I do it ?
Paul.

paulburton44

Lukepiewalker

Nice.
My main point on suggesting the de-keeling is that if it is going to be done, while you have it stripped anyway is the time to do it.
We really need someone who knows more about the construction of the boat to tell us if there is a structural component to be wary of.

MikeDay

There usually isn't a problem removing the bilge keels.  They were part of the construction rules back then to protect the hull but no-one puts their boats down on hard ground now anyway.  Getting rid of them makes the hull smoother though it's marginal. The main keel is a different matter.  This could be a significant structural component of the hull.  Also, you'll have to resite the centreboard higher in the plate case.  All this work will remove a bit of drag and a bit of weight - but there will be lots more you can do to the hull, foils and rig that will make it go faster than these hull changes.
Mike D
N3533

ifoxwell

I havent done this myself but i would have thought that even if they had some kind of structural value they could be recreated on teh inside, as kick bars for your feet
Ian

darebarry

I built a Trouble Shooter which is a follow on from your boat. Whilst the keel is not part of the main structure of the hull I do not think the work needed to remove and make good would be worthwhile. If the C/board is above the keel line by all means you could take a plane and reduce the profile. The b/keels were stuck on after the hull was off the mold and would be easy and worthwhile to revove. Have fun with the boat, they sail nicely.
Cheers Dare N3521 

cut twice (Guest)

Good point made by Dare.  If you have a close to max length board then removing the main keel will probably require a shortening of the board or movement of the bolt.  You’d be forgiven for overlooking the point, as one of the most successful designer/builders ever did.

paul burton (Guest)

broz

Hi, You have done a good job on the boat, I remember it when it was at Hykeham. Peter Diamand was a good builder, built some nice Merlins to. Hope it goes well for you. It likes puffy wind.:)

n12 Bottom Banner