National 12 - find out more...

Ebay - 1376

Started by Interested Party, 21 Apr 2011, 09:23

« previous - next »

Interested Party

1376 is on ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wooden-Sailing-Dingy-/130510307362?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing_Boats_ET&hash=item1e63054022#ht_500wt_1156

I went to see it last night as there was some confusion as to what the boat was - original described as 15 ft, so could have been a Merlin of a similar vintage.....In theory.  This is what I think about her condition:

"I saw the Mk9 imposter tonight and she is indeed a nice old National 12 and she does have Dancing Girl written on the stern.  Or at least she would have been nice if not for her state.

She has no sails and no rudder, but there are 2 wooden booms and a Proctor mast with a wheely thing at the base for the kicker, just like my merlin 950 - only its complete. Standing rigging seems to be all there.

She needs a full redeck and gunnels.....No she needs to be put somewhere undercover for some months to dry out before you can ascertain the full extent of the water damage although I did not detect any soft spots low down in the hull. There is some rot at the bows just below the deck you can push you finger through - the top hull plank is rotten for the first foot of its length and the stem will have to be reglued as well.

On the plus side, you will probably get all the rest of the varnish off with a hair drier.....And since the deck will be comming off you will be easily able to do the front.

I personnally think she is just about redeemable, but will have to be a labour of love and you will not be sailing her this year. I also suspect it will cost you more than she'll ever be worth. But that is always par for the course - isn't it.

The boat is on a farm where it has been stored - It is being sold by the farm owners to try and recoup the owed 'ground rent' as they have not heard from the original owners for some time and the have certainly not paid thier storage - this accounts for the missing sails and rudder.

Steve Hawkins
1984 VW T25 "Misguided Purchase"
Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

n12 Bottom Banner