National 12 - find out more...

Burwain SC open meeting 24th April

Started by Patrick Hamilton, 15 Mar 2011, 01:15

« previous - next »

Patrick Hamilton

We are looking forward to the first N12 opening meeting in a good while at Burwain and hopefully a good turnout. If anyone is thinking of coming but is short of a crew please let me know. We have quite a few keen youngsters in our 'Sailfish' club and it would be good to get them out racing in 12s.
Anyone coming from further afield who wants to make a weekend of it (lots of local attractions such as the Burmley Blues Festival) is welcome to sail on Saturday with the club racing and our dinghy park can accommodate campers.
If you can let me know you are coming it will assist with catering plans.
Patrick Hamilton
N3361

Roly Mo

Would have loved to have made a return visit to Burwain, however it being Easter weekend we are committed to other things.  Hope you have a great day, happy memories of the last time I sailed a 12 there.

RM
N2149/3334/3347

Chadders

Hi Patrick I will be coming over the hill with a vintage or Design 8 hopefully with a crew but I will confirm nearer the time if I do find that I need a crew.  Howard

angus

Hi I am hoping to come with Mr Jones and will almost certainly want to camp and need a crew, however with it being easter the family may yet throw a spanner in the works.
Angus
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

paul turner

Greetings Patrick - Christine and I will be there but debating whether to sail Dolly or Shotgun - oh to be spoilt for choice! Px :K) 

Chadders

Hi Patrick  Do you have any spare crews available to sail in a nice comfy vintage 12 please? I see you have a Sailfish Fleet, I can offer a comfy thwart and jamming cleats, in fact all mod cons.   Who else is coming out to play?

MarkSimpson

Hi We're coming, will be camping. 
Mark, Emma, Toby, Anna and Sarah (my sister, not another child!)

Crusader 3244

Ah Burwain! Foggy memories of Bradford Barrels!
'Why Can't You?' has been in dry dock since return from Thorpe Bay 2009. Change to working arrangements and involvement in other interests have cramped time either for sailing or to undertake the much needed refit. Membership of home club is currently down-graded to 'social'. We're missing the scene an the circuit, all the same.
We hope you have a good turn-out Patrick. We shan't make the entry list - but if the weather and the trip take our fancy we might have a drive out to that attractive region and say hello.
Good cheer.
Chadders, give us a ring nearer the time if you would like to borrow our Ben.
Chris, 3244

icecreamman

Is that foggy memories of Bradford Barrels or memories of foggy Barrels Chris. All I can remember is the long drive over from Bradford passing all those pubs and not being able to stop, oh and the Bobble Hatted Peasant!

angus

Sorry to hear you are in dry dock Chris, presume this is water you are referring to and not other liquids, Have been missing your company at the back of the fleet its getting a bit lonely back here.
Hope to see you getting out side some liquid at Burwain;D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Crusader 3244

Ben has been hired as a crew for the event which gives us specific reason to trip out for the day - so we'll see you there, guys - and gals.

Query 10:30 briefing, 11:00 fisrt race?

I have to work into the small hours of Sunday. I can cut my beauty sleep short in case ofr need, but I was wondering if there are any kind N12 members who live in North Cheshire who may be planning to attend and for whom a small deviation via Bramhall is a small concession to be able to offer to taxi Ben for the outward journey to Burwain? That would be very helpful and conducive to my being more sociable when we get there!

In straightened times, Angus, I gotta be honest, liquidity is an issue. I recall Burwain has a cosy bar and I am sure the club would consider it a waste not to utilise it. I can run to a pint or two, Angus, and I promise to stand you the same if you trip from the tundra 'up north'!
Chris, 3244

Chadders

Ben has been hired eh and I thought I was getting paid for training him! 
All sorted for hauling Triarda over the hill whilst Ben has a lift with Brian Herring so that Chris can have a lie in!  Looking forward to the event, not mentioned above but I believe coming out to play too are John and Alison Cheetham, Neil and Rachel, Brian and Ros and Tim Gatti with a local crew that we havent yet met so set to be a great day in the sunshine. 8)

Chadders

Big thank you to Patrick Hamilton and all the Team at Burwain for organising a great days racing to day.  Congratulations to Mark and Aran? (sorry if I got that wrong) on a well deserved victory and Mark and Emma Simpson as runners up.  Well done to Paul Turner sailing Dolly Daydream the first vintage boat. Not having the results and names etc apologies to anyone I missed out.  Please can we come back again next year?

Patrick Hamilton

Thanks to everyone for coming to Burwain. The close racing between boats of all ages showed what the National 12 has to offer and I am optomistic that we will have a some more members buying 12s in the future. We did have a recent new member who described his boat as an international 12 which I assumed was a mistake but it turns out there is such a thing (and was an olympic boat in 1920). Perhaps he can be pursuaded to get something a little more modern.
Everyone is welcome back to Burwain for the summer regatta on 18th and 19th June. There is a BBQ and live music on Saturday night and camping is possible near to the clubhouse (as demonstrated by the Simpsons-although the drop down to water level may be a bit further by mid June).

Crusader 3244

It was an excellent event on a glorious day albeit one where the wind initially proved very fickle. Ben thoroughly enjoyed sailing with you Howard and he sends a big thank you to you for provinding the opportunity. A big thank you also to Brian who kindly taxied Ben on the outward journey to Burwain.
The measure of Bens renewed enthusiasm is that from the moment we closed the car doors to trip back home he has done nowt but nag me about getting back on the water. (Hehe, being the manipulative father I am I sense an opportunity to utilise his enthusiams to good effect as child-labour put to work to do the tedious work of preparation, stripping and sanding. ... ... ... Hehehe!)
Ben had so much fun touslling with the winning vintage helm, Paul Trurner, and being in a close placed second vintage boat captained by seasoned sea dog Chadders that he is inclined to offer his services as crew to the N12 fraternity. This has our general approval but with one caveat; if you engage him please do not perform too creditably as he'll never be satisfied with being tail-end-charlies when 'Why Can't You ...?' is eventually refloated. (Angus, that caveat may rule you 'in' rather than 'out'. >:()
Thanks to all involved, Patrick, Burwain, and all the folks who made the day.
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner