National 12 - find out more...

Aldeburgh YC Gill Open

Started by Charlotte (Guest), 03 Jul 2011, 10:10

« previous - next »

chalky

Please could anybody planning to come to Aldeburgh let me know if they would like to eat at the BBQ on saturday night. The club uses outside caterers who like to know how much food to buy in.
John

chalky

On the subject of camper vans you are not welcome in Aldeburgh. What is wrong with the Town's Hotels? Aldeburgh has standards to maintain.
I checked with the Town Council who I believe started this nonsense, the Clerk to the Council advised that in her opinion there will be no issue with driving along the sea wall to the dinghy park, but dont slow down or stop..... Once inside the dinghy park you will be quite safe. I haven't checked with the police and in the unlikely event of a fine you are on your own.

Antony (Guest)

I thought that the Yacht Club started the vendetta against camper vans. 
I was under the impression that there was nobody that could do much about it except put up nasty signs, there is certainly no bar to get under or anything like that.  Given that the club are relaxed about them being in the far end of the dinghy park (as long as they are there for the sailing) just ignore the sign and if you do meet anybody claiming to be official tell them the YC told you it would be fine!
Antony

Moon Shallow

Hi, I will be there sailing with Nick... I will be camping (no parents coming=no campervan) and would like a BBQ ticket please!
Thanks Naomi

Steve (Guest)

John,
Jo and I are planning to come. We would like BBQ tickets, breakfast  etc and camping space please. It's been a few years since I've been to Aldeburgh, but Jo's first time. When she asked what the venue was like I suggested she check out Google maps. She was delighted when she saw the town was right on the beach next to the open sea, but not so chuffed when I said we sail on the other side of the beach. Oh well the tacking practice should be useful. 

Regards,

Steve
N3531

paul turner

BBQ tickets for Christine and I please! :K)

chalky

Please could any early campers with small tents leave the larger area clear for  big tents. I don't think there are too many of you to worry much.
Sorry but unfortunately there is not enough inertest in breakfast for the caterers to come in early. The club will be open for coffee and food from 10.00 on saturday and sunday.  I think the Bakery and Munchies will be open in the town but its a bit of a walk.
 There is an Oppie open running at the club on Sunday. It has been agreed that they will use the southern slipway and we will be next to the Clubhouse.

Antony (Guest)

John,
Can you clarify what you mean about the plans with the Oppies?  Those that have attended the event in recent years have been encouraged to take the left fork on the driveway and go up on the sea wall and then down the ramp to the gate at the far end of the dinghy park.   This is obviously where tents and camper vans need to end up, the question is where we want the boats.
Do we want people to drive straight to the club house and then walk their boats around the back of the clubhouse into the space at that end of the dinghy park by the marquee?  There should be room there for all the visiting boats, and would certainly save the walk to and from the boats to the club if it is raining (as seems likely on Saturday).
Antony

chalky

Because of the Oppie open meeting and the weather forecast we will park the boats to the south west corner of the club house, NOT at the botom of the dinghy park. Acccess is via the right fork on the track, through the AYC car park continueing to the sea side of the clubhouse & marquee. There might be a metal bollard by the corner of the club house, this can be lifted out.
Camping will be at the southern (far) end of the dinghy park. Vehicle access is via the left fork onto the top of the sea wall. Its a long walk with a boat back up to the club through the dinghy park....
 Home this makes sense if not call me  07889379236.
The weater forecast is looking a bit better and the sun is shining at the moment.

John

Chadders

Big THANK YOU to John, Antony and all the team at Aldeburgh for making it a great weekend despite the weather.  We vintage 12 sailors enjoyed watching you fit blokes fly around and make it all look fairly easy.  Report and pics on the website + more by following Jonno's link and few from me on the N12 facebook page.  Thanks again. Howard

n12 Bottom Banner