National 12 - find out more...

Where to place the rigging for Dangly Pole?

Started by orkney, 13 Aug 2011, 03:29

« previous - next »

orkney

Hi, i am the new owner of a 1962 national 12, and was just wondering where should i set up the rigging (block and cleat) for my Dangly Pole, because the floor isn't flat and is very deep and low to work with, with ease...?

Pictures and advice would be appreciated.

Lukepiewalker

Usually on the fordeck, just next to the mast gate.

orkney

Have you got a vintage national 12? if so could you please send me a pic of your rigging so i can have an idea of where to put everything?!

Chadders

Hi  I have a vintage Starfish and will send you some photographs and info but we are away at present so please be patient, my boat and several others will be at Burton why not come along and you can photograph a range of set ups as we all tend to have different ways of doing things.  Howard Chadwick aka Chadders8)

angus

Maybe a bit of a long way to come from Orkney Chadders?
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Roly Mo

I have a very good swivel fitting which is deck mounted next to the mast gate.  Works really well. 
RM

Chadders

OK Angus I conceed it is a long way from Orkney to Brightlingsea but I will take some pics as soon as I get Triarda out of the shed for Burton.  Glad to see Bern has a good set up, mine was OK until he (Bern) broke my string at Wroxham but I have foiled his sabotage attempt and put a new bit of string on now.  Mine too has a pulley on the deck next to the mast with a cleat just behind it not as posh as a swivel but I had it in my spares box, its a Yorkshire thing.

orkney

Yes Chadders, that would be greatly appreciated. Mine is also a Starfish! 'Roly Mo' would you also be able to send me pictures of your rigging? (omand95@yahoo.co.uk)

Thanks!

Antony (Guest)

We reverted to one of these:
http://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=35680&cg=7&mc=74&cct=4&sc=325
It is mounted on the back edge of the foredeck just to starboard of the hole for the mast, and just aft of the block on a spring that the string comes down to.  It does not swivel but you can still pull it from anywhere in the boat.
We very occassionally found the jibsheet could catch on the swivelling one that Roly Mo is talking about.  Make sure the rope is long enough that the crew can sit far enough back and still adjust it.  We also found it 'pointed up' a bit high which made it harder for vertically challenged crews to let it off.
You will find that the only real issue is that when you gybe the control line is then the wrong side of the kicker, but the crews seem to be able to sort that out without too much trouble.
Have fun,
Antony

martin 1262

Martin 1262 (Guest)

Hi,
Having a few problems posting today???
The above was from my Starfish I sold recently, :'( but very simple. Ball block on a spring, (to keep the block skywards), led to a cam cleat with a fairlead. This worked really well, and I have seen quite a few guys use the set up on other boats.
Posiitoned just to the right of the mast. I placed the block directly below the pole, and found something solid to screw the eyelet down, (bulkhead)
Good luck

Martin

Chadders

My set up is just like Martins but I will photograph the other stuff and make a few notes for you as we have had questions on rig and control lines before, worth bearing in mind that we all have slightly different ways of doing things which is part of the charm of 12 sailing even if it can seem confusing if you get a variety of answers.

orkney

Thank you! :)  Another thing I am confused about - first I must say, I have bought this boat without any instructions on rigging etc - is what are the Cleats on either side of the boat (you can see your left hand side one in the picture) used for? as they look to be facing the wrong way. I am confused about seeing this on my boat too! I'm also looking for rigging for the Cunningham! :)

Chadders

Hi  The cleats will be for jibsheets I guess but Martin can confirm this.  These can be mounted near the jib fairlead to leward or on the windward deck so that the jib can be cleated across the boat by the helm or crew whilst sitting out.  The cunningham can be taken to a fitting on the mast which includes a block and a cleat or more often these days a rope goes from the gooseneck through the eye or block on the main and then has a small pulley attached to it.  The control line is then led to both sides of the boat via a block under the mast from here it may go back to under the thwart and then to a cleat mounted on the back edge of the thwart or or support piece glued under the thwart, this would be adjusted by helm or crew whilst sitting out.  If you prefer the crew to adjust this the cunningham the control line can go directly from under the mast to the back edge of the foredeck or similar.  On Sinner you asked about all the ropes behind the thwart and these are all control lines essentially run as above, most boats will have cunningham, outhaul, kicker and mast ram as a minimum but they could also have lowers and rig tension etc.  Sinner belongs to Tim Gatti and he can confirm exactly which control lines he has.  Sounds confusing but I will take some photographs and email them shortly but do remember the exact configuration is down to personal choice, I have 5 Twelves currently and although all have similar controls each one is slightly different.  Have a look at the tuning guide and set up guide on this website this will explain some of the controls and what they do.  Howard C

Martin1262 (Guest)

Howard.
Yes the cleats are for the Jib, mounted on the windward side.
If you want to have a gander at a few photos of my boat, with the fittings in place, as Howard has suggested,  my facedbook page is copied below..
Any problems, let me know, I can add you as a friend, if need be.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.121082114478.99486.571654478

Martin

n12 Bottom Banner