National 12 - find out more...

Kicker pictures please?

Started by orkney, 29 Oct 2011, 08:07

« previous - next »

orkney

Could I please have some pictures of you're kickers to give me an idea of how to make my own as i've figured it will save a whole load of money?!
Thanks!

PS. I'm thinking either to do a 12:1 or a 16:1 kicker.

jonathan_twite

I am currently using this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280756974083 (Holt Allen Laser Stratos Kicker System £25.00)
I haven't got the system perfect yet, but it comes with enough bits to make up to a 16:1 kicker and is cheap especially for the blocks...
N3162 (Baggy Trousers) "Bicycle Clips"
N2709 (Paper Dart) "Goose Hunter"

orkney

that doesn't look nearly as busy as a 16:1 purchase though does it? looks more like a maybe 8:1?

johnk

The picture above does show an 8 to 1 purchase. It is easy to extend to 16 to 1. One potential area of concern is the working load on the block that attaches to the boom. This will have twice the load of the next highest loaded block and so must be strong enough.

orkney

How is it easily extended to a 16:1 could you explain please? :P

johnk

First, a correction: The picture shows 12 : 1 not 8 : 1 as the red rope gives a triple purchase.
To double the purchase, shorten the red rope and tie a block to it's end. Then tie the end of a new rope to the block at bottom right where two blue ropes are attached (this block is attached to or near the bottom of the mast), thread it through the new block at the end of the red rope. Pulling on this doubles the purchase. The lengths of each rope need to be just right in order to get the required amount of movement of the hook attached to the boom.

jonathan_twite

Ahh yes, sorry, I replaced the last block on the blue cascades (where the red rope is tied in the pic) with an old-style laser kicker cleat.  This allows the tied end of the red rope to be fed back to the mast where it is tied off creating the 16:1.  I have found that with a long end to pull I can use the kicker positioned there (I sail on a river, and the cleats for a helm don't currently work...)
N3162 (Baggy Trousers) "Bicycle Clips"
N2709 (Paper Dart) "Goose Hunter"

n12 Bottom Banner