National 12 - find out more...

gunwhales

Started by dave, 31 Oct 2011, 09:22

« previous - next »

dave

Hi i bought n3353 earlier this year to learn to sail, and after a lot of swimming i am just about getting the hang of her. I have now brought her home for the winter and want to make her pretty again. The gunwhales have a bit of rot and i would like to replace them but am unsure of how to go on and what wood to use to replace them. It is a crusader 88 model if this makes any difference. Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks dave.

gerry ledger

If the wood is or was white it is sycamor. To replace them first you will need about 20 clamps. Give me a ring and I will try and tell you how to do it, not easy the first time. Gerry

dave

Thanks gerry, i have been advised to use mahogany as it is supposed to stand the wear and tear better? The gunwhales are quite light in colour so probably is sycamore. Do you know what thickness of timber i need to source? Thanks dave.

gerry ledger

I start whith 1 in cut to a patten then cut it down the middle to get two. There is quite a curve on it so you need a wide board, very wastfull for one set.

dave

Hi gerry, i have cut out the bad bits of the gunwhales and am going to splice some new pieces in. What glue would you suggest to hols them? One more thing did you build my boat? its a crusader 88 no 3353? several memners at club seem to think you might? Back to gunwhales, what is the best way to get the shape as it is a teardrop shape? Thanks again dave.

gerry ledger

Hi Dave, use epoxy whith filler.
Yes I built all the Crusader 88s
Dont try shaping the patch till it is glued on, it is easyer to clamp,good luck

dave

Thanks gerry, your a legend.......(probably need more advice as i go through the boat)

n12 Bottom Banner