National 12 - find out more...

Cotton Sails

Started by edwillett, 20 Nov 2011, 06:16

« previous - next »

edwillett

I have a nice suit of Ratseys for my ribbed N12; however they smell a thousand years old and have a few marks and stains here and there. Are there any hot tips on sprucing up old cotton sails or do they just go in the washing machine....and if so what sort of wash. I dont want to set anything rusting that currently isnt...
Grateful for all advice!
Ed

JonathanReubin

I washed 443's in the bath with Lux.  It was a bit like making wine the old fashioned way.  I rinsed them off with clean water then lowered them out of the window on ropes much to the amusement of the neighbours and hung them on the line to dry.  they had to be gently stretched to maintain a decent shape.  A real palaver which convinced me to continue with dacron whenever possible!  Oh and they still smelt musty after all that. 

I used a suit of cotton sails on my Merlin this year, only once as we capsized and it was a real bind getting her up and to stay up with all that weight hanging off the mast so I could sail her back without a tow.  they have been washed and dried and not used since.

Interested Party

The CVRDA site might have some advice on this.  It would be worth taking a look.
Some of them sail with Cotton sails on occasion.
Cheers
Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

n12 Bottom Banner