National 12 - find out more...

Insurance!?

Started by popeye, 09 Dec 2011, 09:55

« previous - next »

popeye

Hi all is there anyone inparticular who you all tend to insure with?

Woundered who was best with development classes. Reckon most would quible if breaking a £1000 winged rudder and how to justify to them. New for old also.

Thanks Ali

Guest (Guest)

I have always used Noble in Newark and have never had a problem, but then I have never broken a winged rudder

john m (Guest)

Noble offer a £5 discount to NTOA members.
Insurers will review each case on its merits and the insured should also do that prior to both setting sail and then making a claim.  Also, where the insured feels that a claim may impact negatively on their insurance record due to the circumstances they may choose not to make a claim.  Overall, I would suggest that Noble have a very positive relationship with members of the class.
Winged rudders, as an example, are particularly fragile on sure, but, if built sufficiently strongly should only fail with a similar frequency to a non winged rudder, with the exception that they maybe have a higher chance of hitting something.  The owner should ensure they are built sufficiently strongly.
If it is windy enough for masts to be tumbling then a winged rudder may conceivably fail.  I lost an experimental wing in a F2 once upon a time.  The builder fixed it and I did not discuss it with my insurers.  If the design of your arrangement makes it likely to fail why should an insurer (and those others who pay premiums) want to bail you out?
The best thing about winged rudders is that unless the wing is lost at sea then rebuild is clearly the best option in both time and expense.
Finally £1000 for a winged rudder?  Don't know who lists prices, but Aardvark do and it is not that much.  Their blade plus wings is £550.  There are a variety of components.  The weakest one has the tendency to fail rather than all of them at once!  the skill is working out which one might be the weakest.

Antony (Guest)

John,
The £1000 is a commonly assumed price and sounds about right given that you are only quoting the price for the blade from a cheaper source.  I was under the impression that a full rudder stock & winged blade was £1000, and that the cost of the changes to the boat were on top of that... making a retro-fit more like £1200-1500 unless you are willing to use the same stock and/or do the work yourself.
The insurance companies should not have any issue with rudders, they will start to ask about them on the propsal form if they do have worries about claims in the same way that they ask what the mast is made of.
Antony

popeye

Thanks Antony

Thats where I was comming from. And I was only taking the rudder as an example. Having not had a develoent class before I wondered if you had to be carefully and choosie of your insurer. 

Ali

MikeDay

I have been with MA Noble for 40 years and have always had excellent service.  I broke my winged rudder in two at Salcombe in August.  It was repaired and strengthened by the original makers (at a cost of c.£350) and Noble settled with no problems.

Mike D
N3533

JonathanReubin

All this expensive high tech kit and caboodle has been pushing up my old boat insurance premiums.  This year I put my foot down and rang my insurers to explain a  1939 boat does not have a carbon mast or indeed carbon anything.  After some to-ing and fro-ing with a full description the premium was slashed.  I have to inform them when I do use a carbon mast and those featherweight winged foils however.  I doubt I will be troubling them.

nigelf

n12 Bottom Banner