National 12 - find out more...

Aeolus 2 no 2355

Started by Mike Bridgwater, 31 Mar 2012, 09:52

« previous - next »

Mike Bridgwater

I have just bought 2355 and she is now in Watchet, Someret, about to be renovated. The boat was kept in a garage for many years and is in really good shape - no delamination or glue failure - just needs revarnishing. The wooden mast and boom are also good. The rudder is missing, as are all the mast fittings. I would appreciate some advice about fitting out the mast. Would there have been spreaders, and/or jumper struts? There is a 1/2 inch hole through the mast about 2/3s the way up and a slot on the forward side that might be to do with a wire jib halyard? A photo of a 60s rudder would be useful so I can make one. Also the sails are really bad, any second hand ones out there? I will post some pictures soon.

johnk

The 1/2 inch hole through the mast 2/3 way up will be for a bolt to mount the forestay and shrouds. These may have been attached to tangs which mounted on the bolt. If the mast had diamond wires, they would be attached to the shroud tangs. the slot in the forward side of the mast just below the 1/2 inch hole would be for a jib halyard pully. The (wire) jib halyard would go from the jib, round the pulley, down inside the mast and out at the bottom.
The mast itself will be hollowed out except for near the shroud and spreader points (if they exist0 where there is only a small hole near the front of the mast for halyards to go through. I used to use a shackle pin on the end of some whipping twine to thread the halyards.
The mast will be in two halves glued together wth caesin glue which did not like long term soaking with water. The inside of the mast was not varnished. Some sailors soaked the inside of their mast with linseed oil and then drained the linseed oil out and allowed it to dry which took some time.
If you can post photos of any parts of the mast (doesn't need to be high resolution) maybe we can help more. Tim Gatti and others know a lot more than me!
I may have a photo of a 1960's rudder and will post it here if I can find it.

Interested Party

I have a National 12 with a deck stepped wooden mast in Swindon, Wiltshire. 
However it is a 1948 Holt 500 series which is a lot older and is currently tucked away somewhere dry.
I also have a 1959 Merlin Rocket with one of the first Proctor masts - diamonds and all that might also give you some clues.
I also have some spare fixed spoon rudders and old sails that might be deemed serviceable enough in the short term.
Steve H

Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

Mike Bridgwater

Thanks for that, I've just figured out that the mast is in fact an early Solo mast off no 952. Aeolus was part of an estate sale for David Wield who had 5 garages dotted around full of stuff, he owned 2 twelves and a mystery solo that seems to have been got rid of by Dittisham SC. As you say the slot at the front must be for the forestay, and the hole for tangs etc., the lack of jib sheave because it never had one! Also, the sail's luff is too long. The mast could be extended (only needs extra 14 inches or so), but not ideal really. If anyone's restoring an early solo...? I'm  guessing that a 1966 boat would probably have had an ali mast? Also puzzling is the lack of transom flaps on a boat of this age.
Rudders, sails etc sounds good, where are you Steve? I will try and post some pictures of mast and boat later on.
Mike. 

Interested Party

Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

n12 Bottom Banner