National 12 - find out more...

12'S GO FURTHER NORTH!

Started by Roly Mo, 13 Aug 2006, 09:05

« previous - next »

Roly Mo

Whilst enjoying our summer break on Orkney we came across Stromness Sailing Club (handily placed right by our campsite) and noticed a rather fetching clinker boat in the dinghy park.  On the Thursday evening we realised that there was activity at the club, and went to watch their fleet of Snipes, plus N2090, go out for racing.  N2090 is a Starfish, named Pussy Willow, and she showed some good turns of speed during the 3 races held.  

Do we have any 12's any further north than this?

Team Roly Mo

angus

Beats me by a mile or two. Could we a range an open meeting up there? ::)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Roly Mo

Miss Clark wants to take the Mirror when we go next year which has already received a pretty emphatic thumbs down from Higher Management on the grounds that it will put up the ferry fare and mean that the holiday has boating overtones but Ellie and I are working on this!  It certainly looked a lovely place to sail (as long as the course avoids the path of the very large ferry!!).  If we fixed an informal meeting up to coincide with our summer break up there (probably first 2 weeks in August 07) would you come?   Would anyone else come?  Orkney is a wonderful wonderful place!

There is a rumour that the Mirror Scottish Champs will be held in Shetland in 2007 . . . . now that could be an interesting trip . . . . .

B

Lukepiewalker

Talk to Ernie.... he has contacts up there.... Might be able to get you a loan of one....

Roly Mo

It was Ernie's mate Bruce that suggested Shetland - we met him at Annandale in July, and then bumped into him and his Mirror squad on the ferry on our way to Orkney.  They were on their way back home to Shetland after competing in the Mirror Nationals in Poole.  That's quite some trip!

B

angus

Lash 2 boats together and stick the car on top that'l save on ferry costs.

Roly Mo

If we fitted a rack to the roof of the motorhome we could shove the boat on top . . . . more expense!  Long way to haul it up there though!

icecreamman

I suppose if we wanted to save on ferry costs, boats could be trailed up to the north of Scotland and then a Grand Pursuit Race could be organised if the weather stands fair across to the Orkeneys.......

Roly Mo

Could you arrange for an Ice Cream van to provide us with a fanfare as we depart and then another one as we arrive?

icecreamman

You are pushing it a bit there Bernard

angus

Do it late autumn or early spring and you won't need a fridge. but watch out for the ice bergs.  8) 8) 8)

hairy dog

keep going north far enough and you'll end up in Australia :o
get a Mungral up ya! :o

icecreamman

Is that close to Sweden?

angus

Naaaaa thats Switzerland isn't it.

Jimbo41

I thought that if you pushed on far enough North you would end up in the Ammersee in Bavaria.

That's a thought, why not arrange a meet for next Summer there? Not so far for Angus and the Northern Fleet.... :P

Jim N3130 (give me your boats and never accept sweeties from a "plastic fantastic")

n12 Bottom Banner