National 12 - find out more...

12'S GO FURTHER NORTH!

Started by Roly Mo, 13 Aug 2006, 09:05

« previous - next »

icecreamman

Only if your compass goes wrong and you turn right at the first mark rather than turning left and heading for the gybe mark

angus

don't talk to me about gybe marks :'( :'( :'(
By the way I just noticed by brass strip is hanging off the bottom that must have been the reason for my apaulling performance.
I'll find an excuse somewhere. ::)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

orkney

I am the new owner of sail number N2090 - Pussy Willow, in Stromness! :)

edwillett

Count me in for an Orkney sail...gorgeous place! However whenever I have been it has never dropped below a constant F6 gusting 7 to 8...might have to find something modern ....

orkney

Well every week this summer it has been never above Force 4, the majority of the weeks there has actually been a great lack in wind :( however the past 2 weeks the wind did pick up to a steady 20mph! :)

Lukepiewalker

Force 6 gusting 7 eh... soundds like an opportunity to siphon off a fleet of Street Legals...

Roly Mo

Well we might just have to bring a boat when we head north in 2012 for our summer break!  It would be lovely to sail in Stromness harbour,
RM

orkney

Here's a link to our website...

http://www.orkneycommunities.co.uk/STROMNESSSAILING/

The most common boat sailed in Stromness is a Snipe - a 2 man, 15.5ft dinghy. :)

Roly Mo

We've had a number of holidays at Stromness, staying at Point of Ness and wandering round to watch the racing.  Lovely spot.  Next year . . . .

Crusader 3244

If a plan is hatching for an impromptu gathering of 12s come August 2012 in a northern and beatiful setting count us in.
Looks beautiful. How many hours of daylight in August? 21/22?

Are the licensing hours as extended as the hours of daylight in summer?
Is there good camping (for tents) and is it far enough north to escape those midges with serious attitude that I recall from the western coast off skye and in proximity to Ardamurchan Point?
Is the water plentiful and the 'water of life' even more so?
Hell, if it is that good I could leave the 12 at home .. .. the crossing would be cheaper .. ... and the funds available for local transactiona and casual expenditure all the greater.
Chris, 3244

Chadders

Hmm coulkd be a plan does this mean you will get your boat back together Chriis or is it almost finished? 

angus

Escape the midges... nae chance. best way apparently is to get on the water they are not suposed to venture more than 20m off shore.... but having been bitten in the middle of Loch Tummel I have my doubts.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Crusader 3244

Chadders Hi!

It's a work in progress, Howard. We applied final topcoat to underside some 10 days ago. We've left it to dry and firm up up a bit and expect to flip it over today. From the odour inside the canvas shelter (tent) there are still plenty of VOCs being released.

The last refit had evidently been done with great care by the Simpsons (Iain, I think) but showed signs of aging. After investigation of localised crazing or hairline cracks we concluded these were in no way structural and attributed them to wear and tear and the hard, perhaps brittle, nature of the two-pack finish. We elected to use the old finish as a base, sanded down to a level hovering between undercoat and primer, then followed Internationals guidance on building up the single pack finish culminiationg in Toplac 'Bondi Blue'.
Interior is pretty good save for localised wear in the finish around thwart and c/b case. But I think we are inclined to take the decks back to the wood and procede from there. Brian has repaired wear and tear to foils and they could do with investment in effort to restore a sound finish. I hope to get her to a standard where we won't have to do much else for several seasons. If I fashioned a stumpy c/b for local waters that would help.

I doub't we'll do any club sailing this season but all things considered we might trail to the Inlands at Leigh & Lowton. Hopefully, circumstance and planning will permit greater involvement in the 'scene' in 2012. We're contemplating Hayling Isaland. A planning meeting involving 'senior management' is in order, and soon.
I think our Ben will be present for Ripon and Yeadon.
Chris, 3244

Chadders

Hi Chris
Bed reserved for Ben for Ripon/Yeadon if he needs it and look forward to seeing you at Leigh, good luck with negociations with higher management and your refurbishment.  I am at a similar stage with refurbing my China Doll Hoodoo, then I have a thwart to put into Triarda and a major rebuild on N2.  My D8 now has its carbon rig but the one that gets most use is the Paper Dart that I paid fifty quid for, it lives at the club with sails in and sails once or twice a week and for some reason it goes like stink, maybe I should take that one to Brightlingsea.
Angus I take it Loch Tummel is a place in Scotland and not somewhere in your swimsuit?

orkney

We sail until about 9PM during august, and we sail less than a 20 second walk from a Campsite! Midgies are only here on a day with lack of wind, which isn't common.

n12 Bottom Banner