National 12 - find out more...

12'S GO FURTHER NORTH!

Started by Roly Mo, 13 Aug 2006, 09:05

« previous - next »

Crusader 3244

Angus,
is there a Tummel Week planned for 2012 and if so which week? How well received would the idea of tagging an orkney gathering in the week following. Us sassanachs could consider a two week break taking in both venues.

orkney,
if interest in some kind of gathering in orkney does develop what would be the views of the club and its officials as to availability of facities and/or having some kind of format in the way of social and some kind of (one imagines) handicap racing?
Ness Point has some airy pitches for would be campers but info on site is sketchy. What are facilities like?

Has anybody any idea of the return fare on ferry for family saloon and trailer? (Ball-park for summer 2012.)
Chris, 3244

Mark S (Guest)

Hi Chris
Tummel week is the last full week in July and runs from sunday afternoon through until the following friday.  We've been going for the last 5-6 years as well as many consecutive years when I was a youngster.  Its a great weeks holiday, very friendly club, beautiful scenery and plenty to do in the local area.  This year was one of the best years we've had there, relaxing, good weather, not to many midgies, etc. 
Glad to hear 3244's restoration is going well.  I was the last one to paint the hull, for the same reason as you have done so, hairline cracks.  The cracks were opened up slightly and filled with expoxy resin. the hull was faired with hi-build compound, undercoated and given two coats of the single pack light blue gloss (toplac I think).  Like you, I decided not to use two pack due to concerns over it being more brittle, unfortunately it sounds like the cracks have still returned.  The decks were give a quick rub down and one or two coats of varnish and some of the inside was touched up, particularly the non slip areas.
All the best
Mark

Alex T

cheapest ferry to Orkney was Pentland ferries this year.
I paid £63 each way for a car (2 adults one child) - dont know how much extra a trailer would be. - this ferry drops you at diagonally oppsite end of Orkney (almost) from Scrabster, but the drive isnt far, and doesnt take long.
Only issue is the ferry is small, and you need to get off over the same ramp you get on on - may mean unhitching the boat
I saw plenty of these Snipes sailing in St Marys - we had hired a house on Burray for the week.
I did think a couple of times that Scapa would be a good place for the 12 (but as usual, the handicap would probably ruin it!)

3223 is cracking too! at the point where the hull flexes most - at my feet! - she does appear to be painted with 2-pack as it is brittle and chips when damaged. I dont think I will use 2-pack when I get round to sorting it.

Alex

orkney

You could catch the other ferry, (Northlinks Hamnavoe) Straight from Scrabster that actually takes you straight into the harbour we sail in! :D PS - Northlink is alot more luxurious.

Roly Mo

The Point of Ness site is fab, one of our all time favourite campsites.  It can be v windy (much hilarity when unsuspecting caravanners put up awnings and then take them down again quickly), the facilities are basic, but the views are out of this world.  The sailing club doesn't have much in the way of facilities. 
Mrs RM

orkney

Our season up here is due to start on 3rd May. I will be racing N2090 on Thursday nights, if anyone is up, do feel free to watch!

n12 Bottom Banner