National 12 - find out more...

Royal Harwich Open 23rd 24th June

Started by Amy Bowden1, 14 May 2012, 09:35

« previous - next »

Antony (Guest)

Sorry - re-reading that made me realise there will be breakfast from 8.30 on Sunday, there is no need to wait until 10.00!

Jennie Clark

I hope to see someone wearing the Crab Protection Officer hi vis vest . . . .

Mike Storey

Can we arrive and camp Friday night?
Mike
N3491

antony (Guest)

Mike,

That is fine, if you find a quiet corner of the dinghy park there should not be any problem.  I think that the club will be open for dinner until some point in the evening.  If you email me i will give you a mobile number and/or the code for the gents if it is all locked up.

Antony

paul turner

What's the weather forecast looking like down there? To Gatti and me it's looking a bit marginal for long distance travelling vintage boats. Px

Antony (Guest)

Paul,
It depends which forecast you look at as usual!  My assessment is that it is marginal on Saturday, with gusts over 20 knots still showing in most but not all forecasts, and fine for Sunday (although you might be sailing in the rain).  It has tended to improve during the week so i have not given up hope, we are sailing a borrowed boat and my sister might sail with our 7 year old so we want about the same as you (10knots and sunny?).
After John C and I lured you all to Aldeburgh to watch last year we are all very sympathetic to the issue!
Antony
p.s.  Good beer.... and a curry.

paul turner

Hi Anthony. Lots of vintage yotters emails flying about - we would really like to sail but the long journey and the propect of adverve weather means that Tim and I have definitely decided that we are going to, most reluctantly, give this weekend a miss. Really sorry to let you down, but I do hope that the forecasts are inaccurate and give you a couple of decent days' sailing to prove us wrong!
Incidentally, we have lost the last two Sundays at TVSC owing to flood water flows and too much or too little wind! Let's hope that we get a gentle breeze and lots of sun for the Midland Area event at Welland next Sunday!

Jennie Clark

We have been studying Windguru for the last few days and the stronger winds which were forecast seem to have moderated a bit and are forecast to arrive earlier, ie today.  Have just had a look and at the moment Saturday afternoon is  forecast to be 12 knots, gusts to 20 (we havn't told Ellie that bit) and Sunday afternoon 8 (gusts of 14) dropping off to 6 (9).  D8 packed up, motorhome now back with us thankfully and loaded.  Roll on the end of school so we can set off!
Looking forward to beer and curry and have their packed dry suits and my sou'wester.
J

antony (Guest)

Results are now posted at:
http://www.royalharwichyachtclub.co.uk/results2012/n12_fireflyandlark_open.html

As you might guess from the results it was a tad windy on Sunday!  Most people had a go at sailing the first race of the day but decided it was a little brisk.
Paul/Tim -  had you made the trip I think that you would have had two nice races on Saturday, having launched while the wind subsided during the first race.  Probably not a bad decision to stay at home although there was very little rain in Suffolk during the daylight hours.

Antony

Jennie Clark

Jeremy C

Second that, really enjoyed the weekend and though most of the fleet took to the water on the sunday...it was seriously windy and we, along with many others retired... if it had been about 10knots less.....!
Looking forward to going back next year though, great event! and some mad race courses!
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

paul turner

Wow - 19 Nationals without the vintage fleet. It would have been along way to go for only two races, but pleased to see went well. The up-side of not going - nearly finished stripping down Mr Jones' hull! Px :K)

CRU 12

Looks like it was a great weekend, so sorry to have missed but I bow to my helm's judicious caution regarding the wind predictions before we set out.  I really didn't fancy 30 knot gusts for 2 days!!!! and am now looking forward to some reflective sailing in Welland this weekend - MAAT sailors please note and do join us - great hospitality and such a protected bit of water.  Cx

n12 Bottom Banner