National 12 - find out more...

Where to sail

Started by pondhopper, 15 Aug 2012, 04:22

« previous - next »

pondhopper

Hi there - I am planning on getting a 12 and was looking to the collective wisdom on this site about the best clubs in my area.
I used to sail an RS600 but want to introduce my girlfriend (a non sailor) to sailing and felt that a 12 would give me enough excitement while not putting her off too quickly!

General thoughts / requirements-
I am based in Bristol, but my parents live in Devon nr Chagford so places within easy striking distance of Chagford would allow me to combine a sailing weekend with a visit to the parents, so this can mitigate distance from Bristol to some extent.
I will mostly be a weekend sailor and will consider travelling and camping for a weekend of sailing

I prefer sailing on an estuary / sea

The surrounding environment is an important part of sailing for me (I didn't enjoy Grafham for example) as it was bleak and unexciting.  Also an attractive enviornment is important in encouraging my girlfriend.

My current list of possibles is:

Chew - the local one - not really not my favorite.  I sailed there about 15 years ago and did not fit in (felt a little...err.. snooty...? apologies to any Chew sailors!)
Langedfedd - Chew but more relaxed?  Still very close - I could get there in 40 mins but are there any 12's there? 
Starcross - 1.5hrs for me but only 40 mins from my parents so if the sailing is good and there are a few 12's about then it is an attractive option.

Beer - 1.5 hrs for me again. I just went there once at it looks like a stunning place.  Are there any 12's?

Does anyone have any view on these clubs or any other suggestions that I should look at?  Salcome was also on my radar, but I think that it is just a bit too far.
Thanks in advance,
Ben

Alex D

Ben,  I sail a N12 at Chew Valley. Things are very different from 15 years ago when the reputation was not good. It is a really friendy club with great racing, some good up and coming sailors and some big waves building in a SW wind. If you want to come and take a fresh look and a spin in a foolish send me a mail. I'm down most Sundays for the racing.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

n12 Bottom Banner