National 12 - find out more...

Sailing Clubs

Started by PhilH, 07 Mar 2013, 08:08

« previous - next »

PhilH

Hi, I have just bought Bicycle Clips :) and was wondering which are the most active sailing clubs for 12's in the Nottingham area.

jonathan_twite

There are 3 clubs in Nottingham itself.  At my club, Nottingham SC (Abolton Lane, West Bridgeford http://www.nottinghamsc.org.uk ), we have 3 N12s that sail fairly regularly and race on Sat, Sun, and Thur evenings with cruising on Tue evenings (Summer).

Attenborough SC ( http://www.attenboroughsc.org.uk ) sails on the nature reserve and has at least 1 N12.

Trent Valley SC ( http://www.trentvalleysc.org/ ) have a large number of N12s, especially vintage boats.  I'm sure someone on here will tell you how many sail regularly.  Trent Valley hold a training day and 2 open meetings every year and have held a national meeting a few years ago.

As 3 clubs, we hold an annual 3 club competition so are fairly friendly with each other.  I have no knowledge of Notts County SC.

All the clubs in Nottingham have their quirks.  Nottingham and Trent Valley are rivers, Nottingham has trees along various parts meaning if the wind direction is from a particular direction, we have all sorts of funny wind.  Trent Valley has certain dead spots that the members know how to get through.  We both have fun with the current when it's been raining lots (i.e. last year...).  Attenborough is a nature reserve lake and is very shallow at random points (again, only the locals know where...)

Obviously I am going to promote my club, but as a club it is very friendly and accomodating.  New members are always welcomed by the whole club.  There are lots of meetings in the Midlands series to sail in N12 only races, and in some other 'interesting' bits of water.  If I were you, take a trip to see each of the clubs and have a chat with people, there are always people around watching when there's racing happening at either club.  They are all friendly little clubs with very reasonable bars.

Hope to see you around
N3162 (Baggy Trousers) "Bicycle Clips"
N2709 (Paper Dart) "Goose Hunter"

Martin (Guest)

Hi

not sure what side of Nottingham you are but notts county is the Newark side of town I think they have some 12s there, a little further out is girton sailing club, and at hykeham in lincoln there are some 12s there. With the new A46 dual to Newark, and the dual to Lincoln that can be reached in about 30 mins from A52/A46 junction. All friendly clubs from what I have heard

martin

paul turner

Greetings PhilH!

Welcome to the N12s!

Jonathan has well documented the near Nottingham clubs but a bit more info.... I don't think that there are any N12s at Attenborough at the moment (only me when I do their March Snowdrop series before sailing starts at Trent Valley!) and although Notts County had a strong fleet some years ago I suspect there are no regular N12 sailors there now. No info on Girton so your best bets are Trent Valley, Nottingham or Hykeham.

Feel free to give me a call on 07710 324 800 any time for a chat.

Cheers, Paul NTOA Midland Area rep 8)

PhilH

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. If there is anybody who sails at Notts County that can inform me of the fleet size that would be great as I think the boat would be best suited for the more open water.

Cheers,

Phil

Sollenelle (Guest)

Hi Phil,

As Jonathan says there are three 12's sailing regularly at Nottingham, his Paper Dart, a Crusader 88 and my Paradigm2, although my 12 only usually comes out to play on a Thursday evening race (am currently looking for a light weight crew for 2013). We do not have class racing for 12's but are usually sailing at the front end of the handicap fleet.

You would be more than welcome to come along and try the water out for size and join in a club race at the start of the season, Saturday pm at 15.00 or Sunday races throughout the day starting at 11.00 from late March. Thursday's usually start mid to late April at 19.00. Check out the club's website in a few weeks. 2013 dates have not been loaded yet. Let me know if you want to come along and I will make sure you are expected and welcomed.

I have also sailed at Notts County and know they would welcome you to join their pre-season open series which usually runs through March. When I sailed in that series a couple of years ago I did not see a 12 sailing but there was definitely a Foolish in the club at that time.

In my experience all the Nottingham clubs are friendly, but County has the most open piece of water.

Good luck, Graham

PhilH

Thanks Graham, I will pay you guys a visit at the start of the season. I did not know Notts County did a pre season series, that might be worth a visit. Do you know when it starts?

Regards,

Phil

sollenelle

Last year Notts County pre-season started first Sunday of March, I don't know start date for this year but expect it will be on their website soon. Contact details for them are on their website - google Notts County Sailing Club.

My number os 07890540495 if you want to call me to arrange a visit to Nottingham SC. If I know when you are coming I will make sure I am there that day.

Jon_P

I used to sail at Attenborough, they are a very friendly bunch - I loved sailing there.

I think there is still 1 12 there but not sure how much they sail.

Happy sailing.

n12 Bottom Banner