National 12 - find out more...

Build Plans

Started by paulbristow, 22 Jun 2012, 10:19

« previous - next »

paulbristow

Seeking advise on the availability of build plans for an amateur build in wood or wood/foam sandwich? Am very keen to find out what is available? preference would be a design that's capable of carrying weight, planes early for use primarily on inland waters but occasional sea. many thanks Paul BRISTOW 8)

Tim Gatti

Paul - suggest you contact Dare Barry (see first his excellent amateur build in wood secn on this website)
His Man-O'-War design (four planker/double bottom) is very competitive. His latest build being N3521 - 'The Ginger Pudding' - see Boat database for pic.

His details are in the N12 Yearbook or email him via one of his posts in the discussion pages
Tim

andymck

Otherwise see the link for the sweet chariot on main page, although not clear how quick that one is yet.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

paulbristow

Thankyou for your replies I believe the Boat by Dare would be my first choice and I have emailed him a couple of times now but  as yet no reply?

Matt (Guest)

David Greening might well still have the Annie Apple mould. I built a foam sandwich boat off it a few years ago. It's quite an effort, Dares wooden boats are easier and faster to build.

David (Guest)

Sadly the Annie Apple mould had a Viking funeral,actually on November 5th, shortly before we moved to Salcombe 6 years ago!

Another route might be to finish off a DCB or Feeling Foolish shell?  Or is there a Feeeling Foolish or Numinous mould around anywhere?

The Sweet Chariot build method looks interesting, and it would be even more so if it the timber kit were available to a proven design.

As an observer I cant help but think that the Chapter or its derivatives such as Man-O-War would be very suited to T-foil rudders, there weekness was always being a bit sticky, and lacking flat planing sections, the V'ed sections aft must benefit from the extra lift derived from the wings, imo.

Best Regards,

David

S 5301

thedodger

I'm pretty sure Ian Stables has the Numinous mould at Lymington. I know he did a lot of work to make sure the mould was perfect before he hatched his Numinous. You can get Ian's details from me if he is not in the Association hand book. Simon Walworth (formerly of 3469)

darebarry

David. Re your comment, yes the T Foil sits very well on the MoW. When Composit Craft were developing their foil they used the current Pudding to help develope..

Cheers Dare

angus

I am far from an expert in this area but I think you can build almost any hull using cedar strip plank, I think the original foolish was built this way so I don't see any reason why you couldn't build a DCB by this method ( sure somebody will put me right if this is not the case). Gerry Ledger has built any number of boats by this method and may be worth talking to. Marcus Wheel has built a couple of strip plank Wild Front Ears, I don't suggest that design but he might be helpful if you want to go down this route.

On a slightly different tack Keith Callghan who has desgined a few Merlin Rockets and National12s (A will back for the 12s) has desgined some boats for a combination of strp plank and ply (not 12s). His web site is http://www.bluelightning.co.uk/

I have sailed against the Sweet Chariot a couple of times an although it looks a nice boat I don't think it can compete with the Folishes althoguh it is still to be proved and I may be wrong but off the top of my head I cann't think of anybody other than Dare who has made a Man O war go quick, but then he seems to do alright so there is no reason why you shouldn't.

One final thing to thik about is that you are going to struggle to make a foil of the quality and strength required and buying one will add a heafty chunk onto the cost of your project.

I say a gain I am not an expert and most of what I have ssaid here is from listening to over people!
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Tom Stewart (Guest)

The Feeling Foolish mould belongs to P&B and Winder boats but resides in one piece at Ovngton Boats. We, P&B can provide DCB's ready for finishing. I also know of a part built wooden 12 by a well known yacht designer that you might be able to buy if you get in touch with me tom@pinbax.com

Mike C (Guest)

I've still got a Foolish mould too. Available to rent if anyone is that way inclined or could pop out a shell to home finish...

n12 Bottom Banner