National 12 - find out more...

Newburn 24th March

Started by Chadders, 14 Mar 2013, 11:54

« previous - next »

Chadders

Who is coming out to play at Newburn? 

Squidgy Bits is going 12pm start and NOR hopefully attached on behalf of Howard Steavenson.

Howard S 8)

Chadders

NOR does not want to stick for some reason!  Key points:-   12pm start one race of 2 to 2.5 hours then to the Keelman for refreshments.  Hight Water 1.36pm  Howard C aka Chadders

angus

Hi I am keen to come out to play but my crew has chickened out. Is anybody interested in crewing for me? I should warn any prospective crew that might be tempted that it is not with out good reason my crew has turned chicken, I will be sailing Reflection 2153 which on her last two outings failed to make the start line and lasted about 20mins. The only other event she has sailed in since my painstaking renovation despite having an ace crew we came last in every race except the pursuit race where virtually no wind always gives you a good chance if you go off first!

So to sum up if there is no wind we stand a good chance of coming last.

If there is a breeze, very slim chance of boat holding to gether for 2-2.5 hours.

If the wind gets up it could be life threatning!:)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

edwillett

Selling that opportunity well Angus..... (dont go into marketing...)

Planning to be there with 1833

angus

Well I just wanted to make the point that it won't be boring, just the excitment may come from an unexpected direction!

MarkSimpson

Red Snapper wil be there complete with newly refurbished mast!  Couple of pictures that show how overdue the job was.  Busy week of varnishing and rigging ahead...

Mark

3462&3472

angus

Well as no good samaritans are pepared to martyr themselves bycrewing for me this weekend and throwing themselves to the mercey of the river gods of the Tyne it looks like Reflection's return to the Tyne will have to be put off till the autumn.

icecreamman

Maybe the Good Samaritans have been in converstion with the weather gods and decided that the Tyne will be absolutely freezing this weekend. Just look at the picture of Hedley Robinson on page 81 of Marks to Starboard to give an indication of what I mean!!

angus

I you'll be quids in this weather.

Chadders

Sorry chaps I have dropped out due to the snow and wind forecast, just too far to drive look at the Tyne for an hour or too then drive back in the snow, or get hyperthermic sailing and swimming in the Tyne.  Hedley was a brave chap as icecreamman says above, good to know you still have all the books and can quote page numbers, your dad will be very proud!

icecreamman

I only remembered that picture of Hedley standing in the water at Ryton with all the ice in his willies, and then had to find the books to then find the picture. Nothing clever about that Howard

edwillett

Just noting for the records that the Blaydon Race was cancelled due to the inclement weather. Not heard if it will be rescheduled or not.

angus

Obviously the sailors of today are a bunch of nancies compared to those of Robin's era. I would also point out that it was only my failure to find a crew as daft as me that prevented me from being there........and the fact the er who does not get her feet wet as put a ban on travelling!

Chadders

Hi Angus the event was cancelled by the club on the Saturday afternoon so even if you had set off you could not have sailed hence her who put a ban on traveling saved you a few bob in fuel for no purpose.  I do admit to having backed out before I heard that though so yes a southern nancy.

angus

I thought They cancelled it because the heard all you southern nancies where chickening out, never mind we have ordered positive temperatures for Annandale.

n12 Bottom Banner