National 12 - find out more...

Richard Roscoe

Started by NTOACertification, 25 Aug 2013, 10:58

« previous - next »

NTOACertification

We are sad to report that Richard Roscoe died last Friday 16th August and we understand the funeral will be on Thursday August 29th.

Richard was well known in the Class in the late 50's and 60's and is most notable for designing and building N1664 Squid, in which he won the Yachting World Silver National Points Trophy at Burton Week in 1960. More than 50 boats were subsequently built to that design.

Janet Bloor
Hon. Secretary

nigelf

I was ever so sad to receive this news about Richard Roscoe, a fellow club member in the 1950s when we were both students in different professions in Scotland. Richard swept the boards at the Firefly Championships in l955, won the first ever Scottish National 12 and Firefly Championship in 1956 (in a Currey Mk.6 National 12) and then the Points Cup at Burton Week at Torbay in 1960 by which time he had returned to England.He also, as I recall, won the National Flying Fifteen Championship in a borrowed boat in 1955.I lost touch with Richard for over 50 years but having moved to Kent got in touch again in correspondence just a couple of months ago when we exchanged news. Richard confided to me that he was very ill but was most keen that I should drop in to see him if in his area but unfortunately I am just a bit too far away for a quick visit and we left it at that.He sent me a recent photograph of him on board a very fast trimaran of his own design and build and with which I believe he had an outstanding result in the Fastnet Race. Others will know much more than me of Richard's work in recent years but he was a truly outstanding dinghy skipper and designer and one of the best heavy weather sailors I have ever come across.I have a photograph of his Firefly "Flaming Onion" in my collection from the 1950s on the Clyde. My heartfelt sympathies go to Richard's wife and family. Nigel Fordyce.ex- N1149 and 3535. 

n12 Bottom Banner