National 12 - find out more...

T Foil Rudders

Started by Flew, 10 Sep 2013, 11:35

« previous - next »

Flew

Hi there,
We are thinking of constructing a T foil rudder onto Loki for winter experimentation. It may not work with the Big Issue to any significant degree, so I don't want to spend a fortune on it. However there have now been a fair number of retro fits onto non-specific T foil boats so the most effective system must be getting established. The back end is v strong already with a full length box bracing the transom. Ideally I want to have a single long pin with a slot in the top of the rudder stock type arrangement and a suitable adjusting system. Would anyone like to share their knowlege on this? I also thought of getting hold of a second hand T foil rudder from another development class like the I14 as they often advertise them and cutting it down to size. Any obvious pitfalls with this idea?  
Cheers  Chris 3493

darebarry

I have just retro fitted a foil to John Thorntons craft. Might be worth you having a look as to how it works.
Dare barry

Peter Ballantine

Hi, we have done a few retrofits now so have decided to write an article about it which is nearly finished.
N3431

Flew

Hi Pete,
I did think about something like the set up you have [your boat was parked up next to us at Brixham], but never got round to looking at it at the time. Will be very interested in your article as will many others I'm sure who are thinking about doing something similar.

Chris

n12 Bottom Banner